Job Summary: The Director of Food & Beverage-Service is ultimately responsible for Clubhouse food and beverage service operations, including its activities, dining options, and relationships between Members and employees. The DFB is the "public face" of these operations with a hands-on approach and an understanding that full "on-the-floor" member and staff engagement is critical to success in this position. The DFB consistently provides superb dining and other food and beverage experiences for the Medinah Members and Guests. The relationship with the Culinary, Catering and Banquet Service Teams are very important to this position; ensuring collaborative and harmonious relationships between front and back of house operations.
- Daily operational oversight of service operations for two restaurants (Oasis and Fireside) and two bars (Casbah and Mecca).
- Be the primary coordinator of the above areas for budgeting, hiring, training, orientations and creating a culture of teamwork, and the supervision of associates to ensure all is done in accordance with approved Club policies and is compliant with governmental regulations.
- Develop and monitor the required operational budgets and procedures to provide direction and controls for food and beverage operations and costs; implement corrective procedures as necessary to help ensure that budget goals are attained.
- Have a strong and highly visible and respectful presence with the membership, be an exceptional communicator, have strong interpersonal skills, and the maturity to instinctively know how to treat members and guests with a high-level of service. He or she must be able to communicate these expectations to a staff with diverse backgrounds and motivate them positively to understand and execute to those expectations.
- Establish standard operating procedures and processes for all dining areas.
- Oversee all dining areas to ensure smooth and consistent experience commonality in all operations, high levels of member and guest satisfaction, quality food products and exemplary service.
- Develop and implement marketing programs to increase dining rooms, bars, banquet and Club Event participation in F & B related activities.
- Hold weekly staff meetings with direct reports to keep them informed of necessary and relevant activities and expectations at the Club. Assist in planning and be responsible for ensuring that special club events are well-conceived and executed.
- Oversee all banquets and social functions, including member and member sponsored events.
- Be responsive to members' requests for menu selections, event planning, etc., and strive to find creative ways to accommodate reasonable requests; have a belief in a service philosophy of "the answer is 'yes,' what is the question?"
- Clearly understand the metrics for successful attainment of financial goals and objectives in F&B operations, and consistently review these expectations with his or her direct reports to ensure understanding and 'buy-in' from those contributing to their attainment.
- Have a strong sense of urgency and responsiveness, while also maintaining quality and integrity of their departments.
- Ensure adherence to, and compliance with, all health, safety, liquor consumption, and all other food and beverage regulations. Keep current on all matters pertaining to the food and beverage industry.
- Be responsible for the management of all alcoholic beverage inventories and purchases.
- Manage the very successful beverage program, including Club Wine List and Specialty Cocktail programs.
- Consistently monitor payroll and labor resource allocations to ensure they are in line with financial forecasting and goals.
- Be an active and dynamic recruiter of team members and someone who inherently enjoys developing and building his/her team and leading them to significant, positive membership satisfaction outcomes.
- Be a collaborative team player who is willing to be "hands on" when necessary but understands when to step back and lead the team.
- Involve associates in the decision-making process of how 'work gets done' and creates a work environment people want to come to and participate in every day.
- Have a passion and aptitude for teaching, training and developing training programs for all food service personnel, working, as necessary, with the managers directly responsible for those operations.
- Be a focused and consistent evaluator of personnel, ensuring that standards of conduct and delivery are met; this includes oversight of high standards of appearance, hospitality, service, and cleanliness of the clubhouse facilities.
- Establish and consistently enhance operating standards for personnel in areas of responsibility and consistently evaluate knowledge, understanding and execution to these high standards.
- Conduct and/or oversee training programs for food service personnel on various issues including service techniques, knowledge of menu items and daily specials, sanitation, team building and conflict resolution; regularly test and evaluate knowledge and understanding of these expectations.
- Ensure staff participation in an effective orientation and onboarding program for all areas of responsibility, along with consistent professional development and training.
- Work closely with the Catering Director, Managers and Executive Chef, to facilitate a strong relationship between departments.
- Ensure that associates clearly understand performance expectations and that assigned tasks are reasonable, well-conceived and appropriately conveyed. Provide resources necessary to allow employees to perform their jobs effectively and create an exceptional ambience for members and guests.
- Conduct annual performance reviews in accordance with club policy and expectations.
- Establish and uphold expectations for dress, decorum and other service standards and consistently monitor for adherence.
- Take personal ownership of his or her area of responsibility, with special attention to the physical plant and overall appearance of the operation and understand the need to be consistently "member ready" in both appearance and service.
- Ensure that Assistant General Manager is kept informed of all issues that affect members, guests and staff.
- Support the Assistant General Manager by leading F&B initiatives as well as future development projects.
- Support the Assistant General Manager by providing operational expectations, guidance and leadership.
- Perform other duties as designated by the Assistant General Manager and senior management.
Must have the ability to promote the club's F&B services and facilities; a practical knowledge of food, beverage, service costs, preparation and pricing is important. Knowledge of social customs and etiquette is essential; imagination and initiative are great assets. Must be detail-oriented with strong ability to multi-task and work under deadlines. Must be able to work with all types of personalities in a diplomatic and pleasant manner. Position suggests a degree from a hotel or restaurant training school/college and 8-10 years progressive experience in Food & Beverage Management within fine dining restaurants or a private club. Must have strong computer and related technology skills. Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time and lift up to 35 pounds. Must have a professional presence, business dress attire, and strong interpersonal skills.
Supervises: All Restaurant, Banquet and Beverage Managers and Staff
"All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of background and drug screening checks."
Job Type: Full-time
- Restaurant: 8 years (Required)
- Computer: 3 years (Required)
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Other types of insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Employee discounts
- Workplace perks such as food/coffee and flexible work schedules