For over 70 years, and across six provinces we've been a leading diversified health services partner for individuals, plan sponsors, plan advisors and governments across Canada. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization committed to giving back to the communities where we live and work. We support the health and wellness of our employees and their families with various wellness programs and resources to support their personal and professional growth.
We're a team of 1,900 colleagues dedicated to collaboration, innovation, customer service, and committed to work-life balance, community involvement and career development which is why Medavie Blue Cross is recognized as a Top 100 Employer and one of Canada’s 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures.
Full Time, Permanent
At the heart of every great system is a solid database.
What’s in it for you?
Our Database and Reporting team has an opening for someone who is passionate about database administration and who cares deeply about the security, stability, and performance of our databases (predominantly Oracle and MSSQL).
Our team currently consists of 6 DBAs, an architect, and a lead. In addition to your direct team mates, you will get to work with people from operational and project teams and you will join a multi-person on call rotation (once you are up to speed).
We are not your typical not-for-profit company; we put our money where our mouth is and we give back to the communities where we do business. And we reinvest profits in our people and technology.
Your every day with us:
- Perform database installs, upgrades, and configuration changes;
- Monitor database performance and tune as necessary;
- Evaluate, install and configure database software products and related software;
- Run scripts in secured environments;
- Collaborate with others to automate and improve our processes and deliver great results;
- Interact with customers, answer questions, and respond to special requests;
- Respond to Service Requests and Help Desk Requests within the required service levels and clearly document actions taken;
- Support development and operational support teams in troubleshooting, problem solving, testing, and deploying application releases and changes;
- Participate in a rotating on-call pager process with the ability to be on-site within the required service level;
- Follow all processes and remain compliant with all audit standards;
What you need to succeed:
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in Computer Science or a related field (or equivalent experience);
- Strong technical aptitude – you learn quickly, understand database management and reporting requirements, and have a strong aptitude for database data modeling;
- (Ideally) five (5) years of database administration experience with a focus on Oracle databases and experience with: MSSQL database, MySQL database, Postgres database, SQL Language, PLSQL, Oracle Discoverer, Oracle Reports, Microsoft SSRS/SSIS/SSAS, Power BI, Tableau, Cognos, Crystal Reports, and Hyperion;
- Experience with or exposure to UNIX, Linux and Windows operating systems;
- (Ideally) knowledge of Discoverer, Oracle reports, SQL Plus, ITIL, SOA and RUP methodologies;
- Problem-solving mindset – you love to dig into an issue, research it, test your theories, solve the problem, and teach others how to do it;
- Ability to recognize risks with a knack for articulating them and finding ways to mitigate them;
- Great communication skills. While our primary language at work is English, being bilingual in French would be a bonus for us.
We would like to thank all candidates for expressing interest. Please note only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Medavie Blue Cross is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Segment: System Administrator, Database, Oracle, ERP, Developer, Technology