Mechanics Bank is looking for a Staff Accountant to work with the Finance Team in the Walnut Creek, CA headquarters.
In this role, you will prepare the Monthly Financial Statement for the Bank, compile data, analyze variances, and balance the GL. You will assist in the preparation of the Bank’s Annual Report Financial Statements and associated disclosures. You will prepare various reports to Federal and State tax agencies. You will record, maintain, and reconcile the Bank’s fixed asset accounts, prepaid assets, and various liability accounts. You will compile a variety of periodic financial reports including the FR2900 and portions of the Call Report. You will perform accounting for securities portfolios. You will assist in the compilation of Finance Department reports and initiative.
What you will do:
Records, maintains, and reconciles the Bank’s fixed asset accounts, including real estate, computers, and office equipment. Records the assets, depreciation rates, and taxes. Maintains files, and assists during audits. Using accounting guidelines, reconciles assets, makes monthly accruals, deposes of assets, and sets up new fixed assets.
- Prepares and analyzes the weekly FR 2900 report for reserve requirements. Submits the FR2900 to the FRB after manager’s review.
- Prepares specific quarterly Call Report schedules from a variety of sources.
- Records, maintains, and reconciles assigned securities portfolios, such as: muni bond portfolio, MBS, and US agencies portfolios. Adds purchased securities, interest earned, closes accounts that mature.
- Uses data mining software to create a variety of ad hoc reports, such as depositor retention or deposit size. Provided the report criteria and variables, assembles the data.
- Assists with Finance Department initiatives including developing various schedules for external audits and assisting with the preparation of the annual report.
- Assists with the development of the annual tax provision calculation, such as the calculation of tax-related accretions of municipals, and the preparation other various schedules.
- Calculates the daily bank’s liquidity and provides report to management for review.
Who you are:
- Strong knowledge of accounting guidelines, principles, practices, and procedures (GAAP).
- Working Knowledge of banking fiduciary regulatory requirements (RAAP).
- Thorough knowledge of financial calculation methodologies, including depreciation, interest, recording of assets and liabilities. • Knowledge of tax principles and practices.
- Strong computer skills, such as excel, access or other database program.
- Knowledge in using Cognos, Crystal, or other data mining program.
- Skill in using web-based accounting systems and reporting applications.
- Skill in attention to detail.
- Ability to be a team player, and assist other members of the department.
- Strong ability to communicate orally and in writing.
Certifications, Licensing, Education, Experience and Other Qualifications:
- One to two years related experience and/or training; or Bachelor’s degree or a related university certificate program; or equivalent combination of education and experience that includes two years of professional accounting work experience.