MDA has recently started a project to provide a national mission management system application. It will be a cutting edge single-page application on modern, open micro-service architecture in a back-end cloud-based environment. This work builds upon previous Command and Control system work that MDA has done with the RCN and DND over the last 20 years. The project team needs a senior software engineer to lead development and champion the delivery of this application.
The candidate will lead a cross-functional software engineering team in the assembly of a collection of services into a functioning command and control system. They will roll-up their sleeves and contribute to coding as need and they will also lead the team in orchestrating sprints, auditing code reviews, and, ensuring appropriate documentation. They will communicate effortlessly when being the main intermediary between the system design team and the software developers. The candidate will draw from their software development experience that includes establishing a development environment for micro-services, guiding a team of developers and successfully delivering a mature, supportable military-grade software application.
- Discuss and brain-storm design concepts generated by the design team
- Plan software development in an iterative/incremental method
- Coordinate design and architecture principles with software engineers team
- Facilitate all software development team meetings
- Be responsible for resolving all software issues and defects
- Guide and mentor the Software Team in delivering working components
- Lead prototyping, detailed software design, code and unit test and integration test for each software increment/release
- Monitor software quality metrics and integration testing results
- Produce software release documentation
- Support Testing Team in requirements testing
- Participate in Continuous Improvement
- University Degree in Computer Science, Computer/ Engineering
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the last 10 years creating and modifying code and developing and maintaining software
- Preference for those with 10 years’ experience in the last 15 years for the above
- Must have minimum of 3 years’ experience programming in Java
- Must have experience in deploying Java micro-services
- Strong knowledge of and experience with object-oriented software design
- Strong knowledge of and experience with data modelling
- Experience with structured unit testing and regression testing
- Strong software development experience, from detailed design through test and deployment
- Effective communication, both verbally and written
- Experience with Docker, Kafka, Apache Camel, Avro, MongoDB/NOSQL, Kubernetes
- Experience with GitLab, JIRA, Jenkins
- Experience with selection and use of Open-Source libraries for GIS, Logging, Micro-Service
- Experience with an Agile Development Framework such as Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe®)
- Knowledge of software design patterns
- Familiarity with DevOps, Behaviour Driven Development and Agile processes
- Knowledge of search and rescue operations in Canada
This position is based in Halifax.
Successful candidate(s) must hold or be able to obtain necessary security clearance.
MDA provides customers around the world with essential information solutions used for decision making. Our employees enjoy challenging careers with opportunity for growth and learning.
MDA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.