The MDA facility in Brampton, Ontario has supported human spaceflight for the past 30+ years through the design and operational support of space robotics systems such as Canadarm on the Space Shuttle, and Canadarm2 and Dextre on the International Space Station. In addition, this site develops rover technology for Mars missions, space-borne sensors for planetary exploration missions, as well as a multitude of terrestrial spin-offs for medical robotics and nuclear power plant operations. MDA is currently exploring future opportunities in areas such as AI-based robotics for Lunar Gateway (the next international space station, which will orbit the moon), on-orbit satellite servicing, and next-generation space missions. The site is currently seeking two (2) Senior Engineers/Member Technical Staff for the Software and Development Engineering Department.
MDA is currently seeking 2 Senior Software Engineers experienced in leading development projects from the conceptual design through development to delivery. These projects include Space/Medical/Industrial Robotic Arms and their associated Command and Control Workstations, Avionics, Electro-Optic Systems (Cameras and Lidars) and Autonomous Control (Robotic Arms and Rovers). The individual will be expected to provide engineering leadership to their project team with varying levels of technical experience. Additionally, the individual will be involved in the following activities:
- Work with customers to develop requirements and create the specifications for their systems.
- Lead the design, development, verification and commissioning.
- Monitor development teams and work with them to resolve technical issues, identify risk and prepare mitigation plans.
- Develop and continuously update software cost model based on development team metrics.
- Assess and evaluate advanced technology on a continuous basis for insertion into spaceflight or terrestrial programs.
Interested candidates must possess a Bachelor/Master’s degree in Software, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or a related discipline with 8 or more years of work experience. Extensive experience in leading the engineering of projects from development to delivery is required. The candidate should have experience in the following:
- Full product life cycle expertise: concept to delivery of complex systems.
- Software design for applications compliant with ISO/IEC/IEEE-12207 (MIL-STD-498), NASA and ESA standards.
- Project control and monitoring.
- Strong C++/C, Ada and Java skills.
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills
- Working knowledge of MATLAB & Simulink
- Real Time embedded systems such as VxWorks OS, RTOS
- Working knowledge of UML and SysML modelling
- Development environments in either Windows or Unix/Linux (including Keil, IAR and VxWorks compiler tools).
- Communication protocols, Industrial frame communication (SCADA, MODBUS), Ethernet, EtherCAT, RS232, RS485, modem, USB, TCP/IP, SNMPv1, I2C, CAN bus, MIL-STD-1553 and SPI
- Target Hardware including single board computers such as PPC750, 8051 based micro controllers, Arm and x86 processors
- Scripting languages such as LUA, Python or Perl
- GUI development using .NET, NetBeans/Java
- Strong human relations skills
- Dedication to meet project deadlines
- Excellent understanding of an organization’s goals and objectives.
- Production of quality deliverables within time and resource constraints
- Highly motivated, enthusiastic, and a positive thinker
Excellent verbal, written communication skills are essential to this position . All candidates must be able to obtain CGP and ITAR clearance .
MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting diversity in the workplace.
With respects to Accessibilities for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Inc. is proud to provide accommodation(s) during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodations, please feel free to notify us.
Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company's retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.