Macy’s Inc. seeks a passionate, team-oriented User Experience Researcher Intern to join its Customer Experience organization to play a key role in shaping the user experience design for Macy’s.com, Macy’s app, and Macy’s retail stores. The User Researcher plays a key role in gaining user insights that will inform the design of engaging user experiences. Strong candidates will have the ability to develop and conduct user research studies in a fast paced collaborative team environment, obtaining research findings that solve for business goals and user needs, working and influencing in a cross-functional context, and advocating research and data to inform the design of user experiences. The candidate is responsible to perform other duties as assigned.
This position reports to the Director of User Experience Research.
- Plans and conducts user research across channel(s) and domains (business units).
- Effectively collaborates with executives, managers, teams, designers, and stakeholders to identify user research opportunities on user-facing products.
- Partners with other customer data teams (e.g. consumer insights, analytics, etc.) to ensure user research efforts are coordinated with other customer data teams.
- Helps define user success metrics that gauge how well user needs are being met for assigned channel(s) and domain(s).
- Develops and conducts quick, generative and evaluative user research studies, including guerilla usability testing, to gauge business (as measured by KPI’s) and user success (as measured by user success metrics) of user experience designs.
- Invents new and adapt existing research practices as needed, to deliver the insights and knowledge that help teams stay on track and customer focused.
- Quickly synthesizes qualitative and quantitative data to develop a better understanding of our customers, give insight into business/user value, and identify potential customer and business risks.
- Helps teams understand customer needs, pain points, attitudes, and behaviors through thoughtful and actionable research that can informing both tactical and strategic efforts.
- 90% Development and execution of user research across channels.
- 5% Collaboration & communication with all projects and initiatives to ensure consistency and clarity.
- Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
- Entry-level position, no professional work experience is required.
- Students currently enrolled in a Bachelors degree in Human Factors, HCI, Cognitive or Experimental Psychology, Sociology, or related field preferred.
- Students enrolled in a Masters degree greatly preferred.
- Strong user research skills, including research experience across different methods, with both qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
- Knowledgeable of implementing a variety of research methods (e.g. guerilla testing, rapid ethnography, contextual. Inquiry, focus groups, surveys, online remote testing, lab observation/logging tools such as Morae, concept testing, usability testing, A/B or multivariate experimentation testing, etc.).
- Solid verbal and written communicator with all levels of business leaders;
- Ability to influence and cultivate strong relationships with key business stakeholders and executives in the organization.
- Ability to communicate and influence product management and user experience designers to incorporate user research findings into product designs.
- Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and analytical skills.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision and make sound decisions.
- This position involves regular walking, standing, sitting for extended periods of time, hearing, and talking.
- May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
- May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, focus adjustment, and viewing computer monitor for extended periods of time.
- Involves manual dexterity for using keyboard, mouse, and other office equipment.
- May involve moving or lifting items under 10 pounds.
- Time management and prioritization skills; ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, at various stages of their development.
- Strong research portfolio that clearly demonstrates using a variety of research methods to drive decision making in an organization.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
As the fastest growing part of Macy's Inc. business, macys.com is achieving record sales and broadening our workforce. Macys.com offers the entrepreneurial culture of a web business with the stability and support of the best brand in retailing. Creativity and ingenuity partner with business acumen and tech savvy to build a unique business poised for substantial growth. If you're interested in being a part of that growth and want to know what it's really like to work at macys.com, get an inside look at http://ecommerce.macysjobs.com/
Our employees have long-term opportunities and are encouraged to utilize their Supervisors and Human Resources for cross-functional movement to further their careers. At macys.com we are committed to giving back to the community by partnering with local charitable organizations. By skillfully combining the power of digital technology and omnichannel integration with the best in retailing, macys.com is reaching new heights.
This job overview is not all inclusive. In addition, Macy’s, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job overview at any time. Macy’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Macy’s, Inc. – including Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s – will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal convictions in a manner consistent with SFPC Art. 49 and LA MC ch.XVIII Art. 9.