The Analyst of Consumer Insights - Market Trends, plays an important role in identifying marketplace and product category opportunities for Macy’s total store. This role is primarily responsible for working with their supervisor to pull and produce analysis. The Analyst will compile necessary information into a presentation with a summary and point of view that will lead the organization to action. This includes presentation development with insights for monthly, quarterly and seasonal market share related assessments that impact the total store as well as static view projects to help the organization understand the competitive landscape (i.e. Amazon, Off Price, Active, etc.).
This role requires ability to work independently, extremely good organizational skills, a strong detail orientation, ability to synthesize large amounts of data and excellent Excel and PowerPoint skills as well as the ability to communicate across the different levels of the organization. Perform other duties as assigned.
Market Share Event Tracking Analysis & Category Assessments:
- With supervision, develop and produce error free deep dive analysis presentations to provide key insights to the merchant/marketing community using the NPD data and incorporate existing resources (Mintel, Kantar, NRF, L2 etc) to add more depth to NPD databases and cover the businesses where NPD data is unavailable
- Partner with primary research and customer engagement counterparts to bring the “Big Picture” view, where appropriate
- Present Reports to requestee/senior management when appropriate
- Assist in L&D training and Office Hours as needed
- Work with supervisor on Ad Hoc projects
Market/Competitive Trends Assessments:
- Stay abreast of industry trends by constantly monitoring and managing calendar of available industry reports, online publications and webinars (e.g. NPD, Kantar Retail, Mintel, Women’s Wear Daily, NRF) and providing brief summaries of Consumer Trend to Marketing/Merchandising teams as appropriate
- Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality.
- BA/BS degree with outstanding academic track record – business, statistics or market research degree a plus. Masters in Marketing a plus
- Ideally at least 2 - 4 years of experience with industry, competitive and/or customer analysis; previous retail/merchant experience a plus
- Knowledge of and a passion for retail industry (reader of fashion magazines and industry publications such as WWD) and experience with apparel/footwear/accessories/home/beauty retailing a plus
- Very strong written and oral communicator with proven ability to think analytically and pragmatically;
- Capable of communicating effectively both cross-functionally and with executives.
- Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division.
- Extremely well-organized and detail-oriented with a strong ability to develop and maintain efficient system of organization
- Self-starter with good problem solving skills and ability to take initiative
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to collaborate effectively, works well with others and is considered a true team player
- Curious to dig into data to look for common themes and ability to turn data into insights
- This position involves regular walking, standing, sitting for extended periods of time, hearing, and talking.
- May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
- May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, focus adjustment, and viewing computer monitor for extended periods of time.
- Involves manual dexterity for using keyboard, mouse, and other office equipment.
- May involve moving or lifting items under 10 pounds.
- Very strong project, process and organizational skills; able to effectively juggle multiple projects/assignments at one time and deliver high quality results without error in timely fashion
- Strong analytical/database skills and visual presentation capabilities (especially Powerpoint and Excel)
- Strong knowledge of PowerPoint, Excel or broader database experience a major plus
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.