Macmillan Publishers is a global trade book publishing company with prominent imprints around the world, publishing a broad range of award-winning books for children and adults in all categories and formats. Macmillan Publishers is committed to our authors, our employees, and to the environment.
U.S. publishers include Celadon Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Flatiron Books, Henry Holt & Company, Macmillan Audio, Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, Picador, St. Martin's Press and Tor Books. In the UK, Australia, India, and South Africa, Macmillan publishes under the Pan Macmillan name. The German company, Holtzbrinck Deutsche Buchverlage, includes among its imprints S. Fischer, Kiepenheuer and Witsch, Rowohlt, and Droemer Knaur.
Macmillan Publishers is a division of the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a large family-owned media company headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences -race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective — in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Macmillan Publishing Group, LLC
Seeking an experienced book designer responsible for picture books, middle grade and young adult titles, for Feiwel and Friends, Henry Holt books for young readers, Swoon and Square Fish. The candidate will be responsible for creating compelling and appealing designs that meet the goals set out for each title by the editors and publisher. The candidate will report to the creative director and oversee a small staff of direct reports.
- Design jackets and interiors for picture books, middle grade novels, and young adult novels.
- Design interior sample pages and create specifications for compositor.
- Participate in production meetings and jacket meetings.
- Prepare files for the printer, and approve proofs and other progress materials.
- Support art department on design projects.
- Scanning, PhotoShop retouching.
- Make corrections to InDesign documents for routing mechs.
- Design of paperback editions.
- Prepare completed projects for print and archiving.
Job Requirements include::
- Knowledge of the principles of typography and graphic design.
- Mac platform skills with mastery of current Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign).
- Superior organizational skills and a keen eye for detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Skilled at photo/art/illustration research.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and work independently in a deadline–driven environment.
- Portfolio required.
- Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design, Fine Art or equivalent.
- Proactive. Motivated. Energetic. Flexible. Good sense of humor.