Release of Information (ROI) Administrator is responsible for releasing patient information to Legal Counsel, Insurance Companies, Workplace Safety and Insurance Board, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Health Care Facilities, Physicians, Patients and others. He/she will promote positive public relations with patients, physicians, staff, and outside agencies requiring health record information. The incumbent will also respond to all Release of Information requests following current legislation, i.e., Public Hospital’s Act, PHIPA and established hospital policies. Submits all generated revenue for Release of Information to Financial Services. Having the relevant knowledge, he/she will comply with policies and procedures related to medical legal matters, amendment of medical records, release of information, patients’ rights, and informed consent etc. He/she will accept subpoenas for patient charts, prepares documents for court attendance and submit the chart as evidence on the date of court attendance and maintain the correspondence log and the security of a health record when it has been identified that litigation is pending.
- Responsible for releasing accurate patient information to authorized recipients while ensuring security of Patient Personal Health Information at all times.
- Liable for processing of release of patient information within established timelines.
- Interact effectively with patient and their families, law offices, insurance companies, other health care providers.
- Manage and maintain EPIC HIM ROI database for all processes.
- Perform monthly analysis and provide ad hoc analysis report as needed.
- Prepare IPC annual report and perform IPC submission.
- Manage ROI team to ensure compliance with registration and to monitor the daily workflow and quality of work
- Work with the Risk Manager, privacy Affairs and patient relations to identify potential risk and to facilitate with patient complaints.
- Completion of a university degree and/or college level Health Information Management Program.
- Current Active certification with the Canadian Health Information Management Association (CHIMA) and maintenance of mandatory continuing professional education credits.
- Knowledge and experience in relevant information privacy laws (e.g., Public Hospital Act, The Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA).
- Knowledge of principles of Health Information Management.
- Knowledge of CD-10/CCI coding system and Case Mix Group (CMG), Resource Intensity Wait (RIW) assignment methodology preferred.
- Proficiency with EPIC, HPF system and medical terminology required.
- Works with the CPO/Risk Manager, Manager of Health Information Services and other stakeholders in overseeing patient rights to inspect, amend and restrict access to personal health information where appropriate.
- Computer literacy in a Windows environment utilizing Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook at a senior level
- Ability or organize and prioritize to effectively process the variety and volume of work.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proven attendance record.
- Demonstrates understanding and complies with patient and staff safety policies and procedures that foster a safe and inclusive environment for all.
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the job.
- Effectively uses empathy in interactions with others.
- Demonstrates behaviours consistent with Mackenzie Health’s Commitment to Caring.
- Models behaviour that is aligned with the values of Mackenzie Health – Excellence, Leadership and Empathy.
- Commitment to providing an exceptional experience for staff and clients within a challenging and exciting health care environment.
Mackenzie Health is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer committed to providing accommodations for applicants upon request at any stage of the recruitment process in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code.