Experienced Software Developers – Multiple exciting, impactful opportunities
GIA has embarked on an exciting digital transformation journey that will modernize the way grading, research, and gemological information is accessed within the Institute and across the gem and jewelry industry. Join us and help drive that journey!
ABOUT GEMOLOGICAL INSTITUTE OF AMERICA (GIA)
Established in 1931, GIA is the world’s foremost authority on diamonds, colored stones, and pearls. GIA exists to protect all purchasers of gemstones, by providing the education, laboratory services, research, and instruments needed to accurately and objectively determine gemstone quality. As creator of the 4Cs and the GIA International Diamond Grading System™, the Institute sets and maintains the standard for grading and identification practices used worldwide. Its global headquarters are based in Carlsbad, California.
What you’ll do:
- Design, build features, and scalable architecture for web-based applications that meet the Laboratory’s needs. This can mean creating an entirely new service from scratch, or integrating a new user interface on top of an existing system.
- Bind our front and back end services together. Integrate and update our legacy systems to take advantage of recent technological advances and user interface patterns.
- Collaborate with other software developers, product owners, data scientists, research scientists, gemologists, and others.
Who you are:
- Have strong to advanced knowledge of object-oriented design patterns and use them consistently.
- Use best practices in software development such as test-driven development and continuous delivery.
- Know the best way to create change is to iterate, gather feedback, adjust, and iterate again.
- Are comfortable using more than one programming language.
You’re great at:
- Using relational and non-relational (NoSQL) databases
- Frontend and/or backend design and development
And you have:
- At least 3-5 years of relevant working experience
- At least a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, or a related field
- Experience with application integration patterns
- Experience with DevOps and continuous delivery
- Experience with cloud development, such as AWS
Disclaimer: This job description indicates in general terms, the type and level of work performed as well as the typical responsibilities of employees in this classification and it may be changed by management at any time. Other duties may also apply. Nothing in this job description changes the at-will employment relationship existing between the Company and its employees.