Gelber Group, a Chicago-based global proprietary trading corporation, has set the bar as one of the industry’s most innovative and enduring firms. Our success is driven by our relentless pursuit of new trading ideas and our emphasis on technological innovation.
Established in 1982, Gelber Group is privately funded and trades on all major exchanges in the United States and worldwide, operating in a variety of asset classes, including foreign exchange, fixed income, equities, and commodities. Gelber has over 200 employees and offices located in Chicago, IL (headquarters); White Plains, NY; Cranford, NJ; Cambridge, MA; San Diego, CA; and London, UK (the location of our affiliate, Oakleystreet LLP).
Gelber Group is looking for a Java Applications Developer to architect, design, implement, test, integrate, and own our primary front-end discretionary trading applications and work closely with traders to ensure requirements are met and issues are addressed in a timely manner.
The ideal candidate would have solid knowledge of Java applications development on the Swing Framework within a trading environment. Additional knowledge of front-end web technologies or C# / .NET is helpful as well as an understanding of and interest in FX trading markets. Excellent communication skills and a desire to understand the needs of traders are both important in this role.
Come join and work closely with members of a small, engaged, and highly-integrated team to deliver efficient, scalable, available, and well-supported trading solutions to drive both business and technology initiatives.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Meet periodically with a working group to help define new features and prioritize work
- Gather business requirements for new features and translate trader needs into technical requirements
- Refine requirements by working closely with individual traders through the development cycle
- Work with a Scrum team to prioritize new feature work in bi-weekly sprints
- Implement changes by utilizing OO, MVC, and other software design paradigms
- Test all new features and bug fixes to verify functionality and conformance to requirements
- Continue to improve the development process, shorten turn-around time, and reduce bugs by investigating new libraries, tools, and processes
- Demonstrate responsibility for all levels of software ownership, including architecture, design, release, deployment, etc.
- Address issues reported by traders in a timely manner
- Respond to the needs and requests of traders by following an efficient process to address their concerns
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Information Systems, or a related field
- 3-5 years of professional user interface development experience preferred
- Expert experience with Java applications development, including proficiency in the Swing Framework
- Comfortable working in both Windows and Linux environments
- Knowledge of currency markets, proprietary trading helpful
- Interest in expanding skills to include C# / .NET or web development
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work individually and in groups
- Ability to prioritize tasks in high-pressure situations
- Excellent problem-solving skills with attention to detail
Benefits and Perks
- Weekly Catered Lunches
- Gym Membership / Discount
- Company-sponsored Outings
- BlueCross BlueShield PPO
- Dental Plan
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)
- Insurance Discounts
- 529 College Savings Plan
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Program