*Perks at Work*
Why come work for us....
- Health and dental benefits after 60 days of work
- Employee meals
- Shift premiums
- Free Parking
- Lifeworks (Employee Assistance Program)
- RRSP Matching
Discover the Difference You Can Make at Gate Gourmet
Gate Gourmet, a gategroup company, is the world's largest independent provider of catering and provisioning services for the airline industry. For the past 70 years, we have served over 250 carriers in more than 30 countries. Gate Gourmet combines culinary expertise with the highest standards of food safety and production to deliver delicious, healthy, and affordable meals to over 270 million travelers around the globe.
We are now hiring for Full-Time Cooks and Cook's Helpersto work in our flight kitchen located at the Vancouver International Airport. This position is represented by a labor Union and is covered by one or more collective bargaining agreement.
- 1st Cook - Rate: From $20.55;
- 2nd Cook - Rate: From $19.93;
- General Cook - Rate: From $19.16;
- Cook's Helper - Rate: From $17.27
**FLEXIBILITY TO WORK WEEKENDS, EVENINGS, AFTERNOONS & MORNINGS**
- Reporting to the Chef, Operations or the Executive Chef for the unit, the Sous Chef, Operations assists the Chef, Operations or the Executive Chef in designing and preparing meals for airline customers.
- Provides culinary expertise and leadership; promotes quality food services and ensures food safety and sanitation requirements are followed.
- Drives the food production effort with the assistance of Food Supervisors
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for ensuring food specifications and labor objectives meet all Company and customer requirements
- Supervises department for quality and quantity; ensures items are produced and dated according to specification, and coding system is adhered to correctly (i.e HAACP and other governmental regulations)
- Keeps account of attendance, sets up paperwork, sets up each shift and assigns employees to specified sections (schedule optimization)
- Orders raw material from storeroom and produces extra meals at last minute as needed
- Prepares daily production sheet and assigns tasks to employees; works with and directs employees through the use of the production sheet and passenger counts
- Responsible for all food items after requisitioning them from the storeroom; training and recurrent training of all employees on proper procedures of preparation
- Ensures safety procedures are adhered to; maintain cleanliness through shift to ensure quality product
- Supervises the washing of equipment for production and ensure equipment is stored according to SOP
- Conducts quality checks on food prepared and provides feedback on compliance to specifications
- Conducts yield and batch checks on raw material
- Prepare gold sample tables for menu changes and train associates to ensure compliance to changes.
- Provide feedback to associates on daily performance.
- Prepares specialty items that are required for production on a daily basis.
- Associates degree in the Culinary Arts or a Culinary Arts certification preferred.
- Canadian Red Seal Certificate
- Minimum 1-3 years as a Chef and/or Sous Chef required.
- Minimum 2-5 years as a cook required.
- Previous supervisory experience working in a high volume, manufacturing, food production, restaurant or catering environment preferred.
- In-flight catering experience or experience in a high-volume food service environment preferred.
- Ability to cook meals according to detailed specifications.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, deadline driven environment.
- Must have strong and effective leadership skills, and the ability to successfully manage a team of cooks.
- Current or previous labor relations experience is a plus, but not required.
- Candidate must be comfortable with all levels of employees and have the ability to drive positive program change.
- Ability to train others required.
- Must have the ability to give negative and positive feedback to employees on a daily basis.
- Excellent time management skills required. Ability to handle multiple tasks without losing focus on priorities.
- Strong organizational, analytical, communication and leadership skills required.
- Must be innovative and have the ability to make changes to the operation as needed to further improve the work environment and unit performance.
- Experience with menu design a plus.
- Basic computer skills required. Working knowledge of Eatec, Microsoft Office products preferred.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Regularly, stands, bends, lifts, and moves intermittently during shifts of 10+ hours.
- In a normal production kitchen facility there may be physical discomfort due to temperature and noise.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull and move product, equipment, supplies, etc., in excess of twenty-five (25) pounds.
- A rotating schedule of over 55 hours per week is typical.
Demonstrated Competencies to be Successful in the Position:
- Thinking - Information search and analysis, problem resolution skills
- Engaging - understanding others, team leadership, developing people
- Inspiring - influencing and building relationships, motivating and inspiring, communicating effectively
- Achieving - delivering business results under pressure, championing performance improvement, customer focus
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Candidates will be required to go through a criminal background check.
gategroup is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or other ground under applicable law.
Gate Gourmet Canada Inc. is pleased to accommodate applicants who have a disability up to the point of undue hardship during the recruitment, assessment and selection process. Please inform our Recruitment Team if you require a disability-related accommodation to participate in the recruitment process.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- cooking: 2 years (Required)