Gatan, Inc. is the world's leading manufacturer of instrumentation and software used to enhance and extend the operation and performance of electron microscopes. The Gatan name is recognized and respected throughout the worldwide scientific community and has been synonymous with high quality products and the industry's leading technology.
The Field Service System Engineer is responsible for on-site repair or services of Gatan specimen prep, imaging and analytical systems at the customer site. The ideal candidate will live in close proximity to Chicago.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- On-site customer installation, service support, limited telephone support, hardware and software configuration, troubleshooting, and maintenance support for Gatan products.
- Ensure repaired systems meet operating specifications, documenting service performed.
- Propose design enhancements and improvements.
- Read and interpret schematics and electrical diagrams through to the component level.
- Isolate the system fault at the component level for electronic, vacuum, and mechanical systems and repair.
- Document work performed in a service report.
- Complete billing or warranty documentation as needed.
- Experience with current Personal Computer Windows Operation System (OS) software installation and configuration.
- Must be a self-starter, able to work with minimal supervision in an isolated environment.
- Ability to approach problems with a sense of ownership, enthusiasm and innovation with strong client service attitude.
- Ability to work on complex learning and development problems as well as teach highly technical information is essential.
- Ability to interface with people at all levels.
- Associate’s Degree in Electronics or Science related field, or 3 years of related experience.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Approximately 70% domestic and international travel.
- This position will be based remotely in the United States.
- Constantly stand and walk throughout the workday.
- Frequently reach with hands and arms; use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel material.
- Frequent repetitive motions.