As a Junior Industrial Designer, you will drive or enable the
development of Elroy Air’s production aircraft and associated drive and
cargo handling systems as well as assist in the fabrication and
integration of vehicles and test equipment. Additionally, you will assist in
generating promotional materials, documentation, prototyping, UX, and
The Junior ID role has a varied and exciting range of responsibilities:
- Help develop both internal and external materials for communication -
sketches, renders, animations
- Help lead discussions via whiteboard communication and rapid
- Build an array of tests which validate cargo handling or aerospace
- Print/Machine/Hack any and all objects necessary
- Build an array of vehicle components, vehicle subassemblies, test
equipment, jigs, fixtures, cradles and more based on program and field
- Work with our Aerospace & Mechanical Engineers as well as our
Industrial Designers to execute their designs.
- Vendor Management Assistance
- Sketching, whiteboarding, building quick prototypes for a wide range
of current and future project elements
- Develop forms and cargo handling systems in a CAD environment.
- Update CAD and create shop drawings as needed to make parts
- Add/finish aircraft design details, brackets, braces, hardware
- Vendor Management
- Work with prototyping & manufacturing partners that will best meet
our program needs to get quotes and place orders as needed.
- Check-in and/or visit with vendors as needed to ensure that program
needs and timeframe goals are met as needed.
- Organize pick-up and delivery of parts and assemblies that are made
offsite by fabrication partners as needed.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Has 1-2 years of Industrial Design experience related to pertaining to
vehicle design or robotic systems
- Has experience developing vehicles, robots, or components thereof
- Has a full stack of sketching and visualization abilities.
- Has the ability to “turn a wrench” and maintain an obsessive level of
craft across many mediums
- Is well-versed in a wide variety of production and development
processes including but not limited to machining, 3D printing, waterjet
and laser cutting, welding, castings, injection molding, gluing & bonding,
Bonus Points For
- SolidWorks CAD experience
- Abilities and experience with on-location photo/video
- Abilities and experience with animation/render
- Past experience developing parts and structures for weight-
- Past experience developing parts and structures involving large
structural composite vehicles/robots/etc...