Grade 1 French Immersion Teacher
Ardrossan Elementary School
Elk Island Public Schools (EIPS) is one of the largest school divisions in Alberta, serving the education needs of approximately 17,150 students in 43 schools. Every day, the staff and students of EIPS are encouraged to pursue opportunities to grow and to discover their passions in life. We pride ourselves on providing our staff and students with the tools to achieve success by offering dynamic programming, up-to-date resources and practical professional learning opportunities.
Elk Island Public Schools is recruiting a full-time 1.0 FTE Grade 1 French Immersion Teacher at Ardrossan Elementary School. The FTE may change due to student enrollment and budget.
Ardrossan Elementary is a K-6 school with approximately 583 students, 28 teaching staff and 14 support staff. The school is located in the town of Ardrossan, Alberta approximately 10 minutes east of Sherwood Park, Alberta.
Ardrossan Elementary is a dual-track school offering both a regular English program and a French Immersion program.
The successful candidate will have excellent verbal and written skills in both French and English as well as knowledge about second language acquisition. Abilities to work well as a team to promote French Immersion is essential.
Open to: EIPS continuing contract teachers only
- Bachelor of Education degree
- Valid Alberta Teaching Certificate
- Effective organization and classroom management skills
- Ability to create a classroom environment where students feel safe, supported, and challenged
- Superior French language proficiency:
- understands main ideas and specific details in most oral and written texts related to social, travel and school-related subjects; including complex details, inferences and fine points of meaning
- participates effectively in discussions on a variety of topics
- speaks with a natural delivery
- writes explanations or descriptions in a variety of informal and formal, social, work and school-related situations
- writes texts in which ideas are developed and presented in a coherent manner, with appropriate vocabulary, grammar and spelling
- is easily understood; pronunciation does not interfere with communication
- Experience or familiarity analyzing data and using data to inform decisions and/or instruction
- Strong collaboration and teamwork skills
- Growth mindset and ability to use feedback to improve practice
- Relentless drive to set and achieve personal and professional goals
- An understanding of French Immersion programming and second language acquisition
Only online applications will be accepted.
For further information, contact Judy Whetstone, Principal at 780-922-2066.
Elk Island Public Schools appreciates and considers all applications; however, we only contact candidates who are selected for interviews.
If you require assistance with the application system, please call Apply to Education at 1-877-900-5627 or email firstname.lastname@example.org