Position Title: Controller
FLSA Designation: Exempt - Administrative
To coordinate, organize and actively oversee the operation of the Auditing/Accounting department. Manage cash flow, necessary reporting and approval of all accounting functions.
Examples of Duties:
- Oversee the property accounting function to ensure information is processed and reported accurately and timely.
- Safeguard the property's cash by ensuring house banks are accurately maintained and counted regularly. Ensure all cash deposits are properly reconciled, logged and deposited in the bank in accordance with the company's policies.
- Manage the property's purchase order process ensuring expenses are properly submitted and approved prior to ordering. Also manage the property's declining checkbook in order to manage costs and support the General Manager in making purchase decision.
- Process all vendor invoices including coding to the general ledger, obtaining necessary approvals and entering data into the accounting software.
- Process payroll including, managing the time-clock to ensure Department managers are approving associate hours and adjustments; exporting the time clock file to the 3rd party payroll software and updating the payroll system for associate changes. Review vacation accrual reports for accuracy.
- Assist General Manager and corporate office in annual budgeting process and monthly forecasting.
- Identify and create monthly accrual entries for accounts payable, utilities, franchise fees and other routine expenses.
- Review the monthly financial statements and provide information to corporate and General Manager on variances and trends.
- Create and review weekly labor management report and assist management in understanding data.
- Manage Capital expenditure process based on the Company's prescribed policies and procedures.
- Work with sales and catering to ensure that all required documentation is received to support tax exempt revenues. Actively research and resolve tax shortages identified by corporate office.
- Maximize profitability by ensuring the property is utilizing company programs such as Buy Efficient and managing vendor payment discounts and tax shortages.
- Work with the Internal Audit function to correct any procedural deficiencies and ensure the property is scoring no less than 80% on internal audits.
- Other duties as assigned by the General Manager or corporate office.
Specific Job knowledge, skill and ability
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to communicate verbally in English with staff and outside entities.
- Ability to analyze large volume of complex financial information from many sources and credit reports, forecasts projections for Executive level committees.
- Basic understanding of complex computerized financial systems and ability to use it including manual dexterity to operate all office machines.
Bachelor's degree or any other combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Five years experience in hotels. Large, luxury property experience preferred.
Licenses or certificates:
Ability to obtain any government required licenses or certificates.
All employees must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance (specific standards available).
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time), and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time), to lift, carry, push, or pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
- Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position.
- Associates with irregular attendance will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
- Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, associates may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel.
- Upon employment, all associates are required to fully comply with rules and regulations for the safe and efficient operation of hotel facilities. Associates who violate Hotel rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
- Excellent benefits package, Health, Dental, Vision, FSA, Life Insurance, 401K, Vacation, PTO
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $60,000.00 to $110,000.00 /year
- Accounting: 3 years (Preferred)
- controller: 3 years (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid time off