The New Product Introduction Buyer is responsible for procuring materials, components, and equipment and for project materials management in support of new product builds. Experience with contract manufacturers a plus.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Utilize thorough forecasting and proper planning techniques to ensure that Contract Manufacturers maintain optimal inventory levels of commodities to meet engineering and production ramp up requirements, while mitigating excess inventory claims. Ensures new products are ready from a materials standpoint for production release in time to meet project schedules.
- Work in collaboration with Supply Chain Management to ensure the appropriate supplier strategy is being utilized in time for new product release to production purchasing.
- Manage Procurement activities for existing product lines using thorough forecasting and proper planning techniques to ensure ODM Suppliers (Finished Good-level) receive forecasts & POs to meet customer demand and maintain inventory level at targets.
- Minimize material lead times and ensure on time delivery of material to support NPI project schedules. Tracks and updates orders, delivery commitments and inventory receipts both inside and outside of MRP.
- Work with engineering to assist suppliers in developing efficient fabrication processes; identify preliminary critical parts, long-lead parts and inspection requirements. Assists in developing supplier and commodity road maps to engineering. Utilizes value analysis on build-to-print components in support of Should Cost analysis.
- Evaluate supplier reliability and works with Supplier Development Engineering and Supply Chain Management to develop new supply sources as needed. Monitors cost, schedule, and scope of assigned NPI projects. Identify second sources for critical components as necessary
- Participate in the continuous improvement of current systems and processes.
- Work with Procurement Team to identify and qualify new supplier resources.
- Identify potential supplier capacity issues. Work with Suppliers to resolve these issues and to insure no impact on project schedules.
- Create, update, and publish project material cost models. Quickly and proactively resolve and/or escalate issues related to delivery, supplier performance, quality or cost.
- Maintain overall Supplier management, including organizing and conducting Quarterly Business Reviews (QBRs), regular costing analysis, reviews of Term & Conditions, Supply Agreement negotiations, Quality & Delivery KPIs and any other general activities to ensure we attain peak performance from our Supply Base.
- Maintain accuracy of all applicable reports, POs, component item master information, etc. Work with engineering and Contract Manufacturer to insure BOMs are accurate and will function in a production environment.
- Provide direction and/or effectively delegate critical tasks as needed. Act as a functional, productive member of a high performance team.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Ability work effectively in a fast paced, chaotic environment of constant change. Ability to manage change quickly and gracefully.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills a must. Ability to communicate at both high (strategic) and detailed (tactical) levels and the ability to know when one or the other is appropriate.
- Detail oriented with demonstrated ability to proactively follow-up on areas of responsibility in a timely manner.
- Ability to read and have a basic understanding of engineering drawings.
- Possess significant computer knowledge and skill using Windows, Word, Excel (advanced skills preferred) and ERP Information Systems, preferably AX.
- Proficient in MS Office (MS Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel)- including Vlookups, Pivot Tables, Charts, and filtering)
- Experience with and a functional understanding of the manufacturing processes utilized by the suppliers of mechanical components (precision machining, sheet metal, plastic injection molding and other plastics processes, etc.), contract manufacturing, OEM, cables, PCA, etc.
- Experience with and a functional understanding of the board-level components and PCBA fabrication utilized by Contract Manufacturer (SMT, ITC, Wave Solder, Other PCBA Quality Control devices & methods, etc.)
- Familiar with project management techniques for new product introduction
- BS in business, mechanical or electrical engineering or equivalent education/experience.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in materials, of which minimum 3 years is direct experience in purchasing for new products, R&D, and/or engineering support environments with a demonstrated successful track record of increasing responsibility.
- Experience working with engineers and manufacturing resources for prototype parts procurement, pilot activities and production launch of new products.
- ECO implementation experience required
Job Type: Full-time
- New Product Buying: 2 years (Preferred)
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
- Other types of insurance