The New Yorker is a multi-platform media enterprise, spanning print, digital, audio, video, and live events. Founded in 1925, The New Yorker is considered by many to be the most influential magazine in the world, renowned for its in-depth reporting, political and cultural commentary, fiction, poetry, humor, and cartoons. In addition to the weekly print magazine, The New Yorker has become a daily digital destination for news and cultural coverage by its staff writers and other contributors. In print and online, The New Yorker stands apart for its commitment to truth and accuracy, for the quality of its prose, and its insistence on exciting and moving every reader.
This position is focussed on the production of the print and digital editions of the magazine, which involves interacting with various departments to track and close the issue each week. Weekend work might include communicating with a remote production team and ensuring quality control of New Yorker app or web content. After learning the fundamentals of our production process, you will have the opportunity to contribute to new automation tools and help shape the future of our workflow. The ideal candidate will be able to see a complex project through from initial conception to completion.
The role offers opportunities to advance, so interest in a long-term commitment and amenability to ebbs and flows in responsibilities over time are a must. Interest in and aptitude for mobile-app development, production, and quality control will be considered highly. Additional interest in scripting and automation, application and product development, technology market research, analytics and/or database management is a plus.
- Create and maintain magazine layouts in InDesign and stories in InCopy, according to strict style-sheet protocol
- Work closely with the A-issue editor to assess story fit and track the issue close
- Work with editors, proofreaders, art editors, and checkers (“closing group”) to finalize all the components of a story package: articles, layouts, and media
- Distribute story proofs
- Manage the closing process for story packages, from setup to publication
- Prepare XML, HTML, and CSS files for web, tablet, and mobile devices
- Prepare articles for publication on Newyorker.com, using Conde Nast’s CMS
- Ensure all changes have been made before releasing a story
- Review and sign-off on the final assets delivered to the printer and to digital platforms
- Interface directly with the press and pre-press representativesPerform quality control reviews on New Yorker digital editions, including ePub, PDF, mobile web platforms, native applications
- Assist with the quality review and testing of new digital renditions
- Articulate found technical issues or bugs that may appear as part of the closing process for the Conde Nast technical teams
- Perform one-off archive conversions to digitize content from the archive as needed
- Contribute to process documentation
- Gain familiarity with the workflow automation system in order to eventually contribute ideas and changes
- Keep up-to-date with current departmental production policies, including evolving styles and workflow protocols, by reviewing weekly issue files and attending weekly production meetings
Evening shift: Monday through Friday (12 P.M. to 8 P.M.), including occasional at-home
weekend hours, with compensatory days provided.
- Reports to Director of Editorial Production and Deputy of Editorial Production
- Available immediately
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply below and we will review your application as soon as possible. Please note that due to the high level of applications we receive, it is not always possible for us to respond to each applicant in person. Should your profile fit this open position we will contact you within approximately 4 weeks. You can update your resume or upload a cover letter at any time by accessing your candidate profile.
C ondé Nas t is an equal opportunity workplace.
Duties and responsibilities may be adjusted based on years of experience.
Salary is also commensurate with experience.