WIRED is where tomorrow is realized. It is the essential source of information and ideas that make sense of a world in constant transformation. The WIRED conversation illuminates how technology is changing every aspect of our lives—from culture to business, science to design. The breakthroughs and innovations that we uncover lead to new ways of thinking, new connections, and new industries. WIRED reaches more than 30 million people each month through WIRED.com, our digital edition, the magazine, social media, and live events.
WIRED is looking for a bright and savvy individual with a fierce attention to detail, a deep appreciation for spreadsheets, and an unflappable disposition to manage various business aspects of our brand as well as relationships with our contributors.
In this role you will work with our Managing Editor, Visuals Manager, and Site Editor to align budgets and maintain accurate accounting, draft and negotiate contracts, and advise on rights management for our commissioned and licensed content across our print, digital, and social platforms. You’ll also help staff navigate sometimes complex corporate systems and processes. This is a great opportunity for an individual looking to develop their business, operations, and management skills while working within a creative environment. The position is based in San Francisco and pay is commensurate with experience.
- Conception and management of editorial and operations budgets
- Track, code, and log editorial content and operations invoices
- Analyze variances within a budget and recast projections based on evolving needs
- Create, negotiate, and execute simple to complex contributor agreements and licenses
- Work with corporate legal department to obtain guidance on copyright-related issues
- Advise on potential reuse of WIRED content and assist various departments with rights clearance
- Work closely with corporate groups to clear content for various initiatives such as podcasts, events, partnerships, etc.
- Onboard new WIRED contributors
- Pre-approve all staff and freelance travel and assist staff with the expense reporting process
- Act as brand liaison to outside vendors by instructing them on workflow, deadlines for payment, navigating vendor systems, and providing payment status updates
- Support and contribute to the office culture through event planning, activities, brainstorms, etc.
- Must be a flexible and strategic thinker with strong organizational, project, and time management skills
- Proficient at creating spreadsheets in both Excel and Google Sheets; the ability to create pivot tables is a bonus
- Keen attention to detail and strong follow-up skills with the ability to proactively identify and address problems quickly and independently
- Will be assertive on behalf of the brand
- Impeccable written and oral communication skills
- Adaptable to evolving systems and can develop processes and workflow that supports new initiatives
- Can derive deep satisfaction from working with numbers
- Desire ownership of the role and ability to independently manage multiple-task projects on deadline
- Must have proven track record of maintaining confidentiality
- Understanding of online publishing and familiarity with various social media platforms
- Previous management of budgets
- Experience partnering with and giving guidance to executive-level staff
- Familiarity with Workday
- Experience working on contracts and with a legal department is a plus
- Familiarity and engagement with WIRED and its writers and artists, as well as with our brand’s distinctive style and areas of coverage
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply below and we will review your application as soon as possible. Please note that due to the high level of applications we receive, it is not always possible for us to respond to each applicant in person. Should your profile fit this open position we will contact you within approximately 4 weeks. You can update your resume or upload a cover letter at any time by accessing your candidate profile.
C ondé Nas t is an equal opportunity workplace.
Duties and responsibilities may be adjusted based on years of experience.
Salary is also commensurate with experience.