The New Yorker is a multi-platform media enterprise, spanning print, digital, audio, video, and live events. With more than a million subscribers to the weekly magazine and nearly fourteen million readers every month on newyorker.com, The New Yorker delivers unparalleled reporting and commentary on politics, foreign affairs, business, technology, popular culture, and the arts, along with humor, fiction, poetry, and, of course, cartoons. Reaching beyond print, the web, digital edition, and apps, you can find The New Yorker’s writers, editors, and artists on the radio on “The New Yorker Radio Hour,” on TV via Amazon’s “The New Yorker Presents,” and at marquee events like the New Yorker Festival. The creativity and influence that have characterized The New Yorker since its founding, in 1925, are today amplified far beyond its pages.
Associate Social Media Manager, The New Yorker
The New Yorker is seeking an associate social-media manager to help maintain and expand the magazine and Web site’s presence across social media platforms. As part of the social media team, this person will work closely with the editorial and communications teams to translate The New Yorker’s short-form, long-form, and visual reporting to social networks, mindful that these venues mark many visitors’ principal encounter with the brand. As such, the best candidates must possess excellent writing and editing skills, a passion for digital journalism and social media, and a deep interest in the stories and issues regularly covered by The New Yorker .
The hired applicant will generally work Wednesday through Friday, from 1 to 9 p.m. (in our office in New York), and Saturday and Sunday, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. (may be done remotely). The role is a full-time position and sometimes requires working late nights, depending on the demands of the news cycle.
- Assist with the writing, editing, and posting of content from the magazine, Web site, events, and brand extensions (e.g. “The New Yorker Radio Hour”) across platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Instagram Stories, Tumblr, and Flipboard.
- Help with other aspects of The New Yorker's digital-distribution strategy, including push notifications and newsletters.
- Collaborate with the audience-development and data-analytics teams to maximize stories’ reach and insure the brand is meeting site-wide growth goals.
- Advise New Yorker writers and editors on social strategies and ways to increase their individual social presence.
- Insure The New Yorker is an early innovator on emerging platforms and abreast of the latest social media trends.
- Monitor New Yorker -related mentions on all social platforms and engage with readers’ responses to New Yorker stories.
- Identify opportunities to leverage the New Yorker ’s robust archive.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Two to three years of experience in a social-media or journalism role.
- A knowledge of and interest in the history, style, and voice of The New Yorker .
- A demonstrated ability to write engaging social-media copy across a range of topics, and for a variety of audiences.
- A passion for and experience with social media platforms, both established and emerging.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- The ability to manage multiple projects at once, with various lead times.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply below and we will review your application as soon as possible. Please note that due to the high level of applications we receive, it is not always possible for us to respond to each applicant in person. Should your profile fit this open position we will contact you within approximately 4 weeks. You can update your resume or upload a cover letter at any time by accessing your candidate profile.
C ondé Nas t is an equal opportunity workplace.
Duties and responsibilities may be adjusted based on years of experience.
Salary is also commensurate with experience.