Posted on: November 21, 2018
Deadline: December 4, 2018
This posting represents two (2) full-time permanent positions.
Reporting to the Manager, Conference Services, the incumbent oversees the planning and execution of clients’ needs by acting as a liaison between them and a wide variety of services (internal/external) in order to successfully promote events at Concordia. He/she will provide solutions to better meet client and departmental needs in line with departmental strategic goals.
- Oversee event management planning of a multitude of event types such as: academic and non-academic related for Faculty/Staff; campus life activities for Students; Corporate, Conferences, and social activities for external members; support Faculties in outreach programs for local, national and international academic conferences, to be promoted and hosted by Concordia University.
- Meet with clients and provide information on event related matters, protocols and policies; advise on government regulations to ensure University image is upheld; propose concepts, venues, direction and presentation in accordance with the client’s budget, timeframe and objectives.
- Responsible for document management: handle contracts for external clients; ensure adequate liability insurance coverage, and that Concordia terms and conditions are addressed; obtain necessary permits in accordance with government agency regulations; ensure that all necessary waivers to perform event-related activities were approved during registration process.
- Evaluate results and draft post-mortem reports upon closure of event dossier; ensure that all financial and event-related documents have been finalized and closed.
- Provide a one-stop-shop for client events by planning and overseeing all logistical matters; liaise with internal and external suppliers such as Facilities, Caterers, IITS, Decorations, Equipment rentals, Régie des alcools, Entertainment, special needs, and signage; recommend an array of activities and suitable solutions to best meet clients’ needs. Manage event budget and centralize all event-related charges for the client.
- Monitor event activities in order to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and laws, satisfaction of participants; identify potential risks and resolution of any problems that arise, in collaboration with the Security Office, Environmental Health and Safety, and University’s Insurance/Liability Specialist.
- Contribute to the implementation of the departmental goals, strategies, special project assignments and business opportunities within Hospitality Concordia; handle tasks/projects accordingly.
- Partake in further development and continuous improvements of departmental processes; recommend improvements to increase efficiencies and customer satisfaction; takes proper follow up action.
- Supervise the execution of services rendered by supplier’s onsite prior to events; assist clients as well as resolving issues that may occur during the event to ensure successful proceedings.
- Responsible for casual support staff: provide direction and training; evaluate performance, assign and schedule duties; ensure their worked hours are submitted in a timely manner to the Manager.
- Diploma of Collegial Studies (3 year technical DEC) in Business Administration and Tourism or related studies and two to four years of related experience in the Hospitality/Tourism Industry, with a focus on Event Planning.
- Minimum of four years’ experience in planning medium and large scale conferences.
- Experience in business development and knowledge of University environment and event-related policies are assets.
- Experience in building and maintaining relationships with key clients; preparation of client proposals and contracts and contract negotiation; budget management.
- Good knowledge of Montreal external vendors specialised in events, hotels and simultaneous translation; knowledge of Event Management System (EMS) and floor plan software (Iplan).
- Good knowledge (Level 4) of spoken and written English and French to communicate effectively with internal and external parties.
- Good knowledge (Intermediate level) of Word, Excel and Powerpoint (to create and update documents and spreadsheets); ability to work with Microsoft Outlook.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication skills and fostering relationships with suppliers; excellent organizational and planning skills with the ability to multi-task and establish priorities and meet deadlines; ability to work with minimal supervision autonomously and also as part of a team.
- Ability to work flexible hours (early mornings, nights and weekends), as required.
$28.76 – $34.63 per hour
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by December 4, 2018. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.