Concern Worldwide is an international humanitarian organization committed to the relief, assistance and advancement of the poorest people in the least developed countries of the world. Founded in Ireland in 1968, Concern Worldwide has nearly 4,000 personnel working in 24 countries across the globe. Concern believes in a world where no one lives in fear; where all have access to a decent standard of living and the opportunities essential to a long, healthy and creative life. Our mission is to help people living in absolute poverty achieve major improvements in their lives, improvements that are sustainable without ongoing support from Concern.
Concern Worldwide US is an independent affiliate of Concern Worldwide, with offices in New York and Chicago. Our mandate is to support the work of Concern Worldwide by financially supporting programs, representing Concern with national/international co-funders and organizations, facilitating the recruitment of personnel and raising the organization's profile. Concern Worldwide US also engages in development education programs with the general public and with high schools in the US.
We're looking for someone who's passionate about (and really good at) writing. Concern Worldwide has operations in 24 of the world's most interesting countries, and we have many powerful stories to tell. Our mission? To help bring an end to global extreme poverty... whatever it takes.
As a writer with Concern Worldwide US, you'll be responsible for helping us tell those stories to a variety of audiences across a range of platforms. You'll be part of a Communications and Marketing team that combines experience with enthusiasm, passion with practicality.
This is be a part-time (approximately 20 hours per week), temporary position, in our New York office, with the possibility of expanding to a full-time role.
- Provide three main types of writing support:
o Write smart and engaging web stories and social media posts that get people excited about Concern's work
o Craft compelling copy -- for emails, donation pages, etc. -- that inspires supporters to give. (In other words you need to be ok with -- even expert at -- asking people for money. Supporting the lifesaving work of our colleagues abroad is an important part of what we do.)
o Lend your writing expertise wherever else it's needed:
helping write donor proposals, reports, maybe even a speech or two.
o Contribute to, and help us further develop, our brand voice in the US.
o Develop a deep insight into the work of Concern and a strong knowledge of how we understand the issue of poverty and its potential solutions.
o Work with your marketing and communications colleagues to imagine, develop, and execute smart marketing and awareness campaigns.
o Take the opportunity to source and develop compelling and original story ideas, working with colleagues in Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, Europe, and the Middle East.
o Work with colleagues from other departments -- Fundraising, Programs, HR -- to help them with projects that require writing skills.
- A demonstrable degree of experience and talent in the types of writing styles listed above, but especially:
o Writing for the web
o Marketing copy (experience writing fundraising materials is especially desirable).
- At least 2-3 years of applicable professional experience is a plus, but we recognize that good writers are good writers. In any case, a portfolio containing a representative sampling of your expertise is a must.
- An understanding of the basic principles of search engine optimization.
- An ability to conform copy to standards related to voice, tone, and audience.
- An ability to work under pressure and to deadline when needed (we respond to emergencies!).
- Opinions and initiative.
- A sense of humor is always nice to have around - just because this work is serious doesn't mean we don't laugh every now and then.
- Strong commitment to the mission of Concern Worldwide. A familiarity with or interest in the humanitarian or development sector a plus.
- Eligible to work in the US at the time of application.