As THE leader in transit technology, Clever Devices' vision is to make meaningful contributions to worldwide mobility. Our goal is to be the leading provider of exciting technology that improves the quality of mobility in communities around the world. We are continuing to grow, and are looking for an Applications Engineer to join our team. This position can be located in Long Island NY (Woodbury, NY), New York City or Morrisville, NC (Raleigh-Durham area).
The Apps Engineer will help design robust system solutions, integrating multiple Clever Devices hardware products in to vehicle and back office systems. Design high quality cable harnesses and component mounting solutions. Ensure and validate the physical design requirements (safety, structural, vibration, thermal, shielding, and operations) and manufacturing aspects of all system components and cable harnesses to produce designs that meet all applicable requirements for the form, fit and function.
The Applications Engineer will pro-actively work in a team environment with cross functional departments, Program Management, Product Management, Hardware Engineering, Systems Engineering, and staff to prepare engineered system solutions for Transit Industry applications.
Responsible to create electronic drawings, schematics, Bills of Materials (BOM’s), installation instructions and other technical documents within the governing industry standards, design specifications, quality assurance program and procedures. Visit customer sites to view vehicles and vehicle physical locations/compartments to design solutions for each specific and unique application.
- Perform the detail design and development of systems and components. Interface with systems engineering and product management staff effectively to ensure the form, fit and function of designs while also working with production and suppliers to ensure cost effectiveness and manufacturability of designs.
- Collaborate with the systems engineering staff to produce design drawing and schematics in accordance with applicable standards. Accurately incorporate drawing details and tolerances into design drawings.
- Originate and/or review analyses, acceptance test procedures, installation procedures, operating procedures, and reports using appropriate computer software.
- Review and verify design drawings and other technical documentation prepared by others to ensure correctness and accuracy in form, fit and function.
- Manage, Train, and Supervise staff/contractors hired to retrofit/install Clever Devices equipment in vehicles at customer locations.
- Generate and structure BOM’s in a MRP system.
- Must be able to check and critique the quality work performed by peers, vendors, installers, or others.
- Must be able to work in a dynamic fast paced team environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics or related engineering discipline required.
- Minimum of two (2) years of design experience utilizing 2D or 3-D Modeling CAD systems required. Experience with Zuken E3 Harness Builder, SolidWorks and AutoCAD preferred. Cable harnessing and sheet metal a plus.
- An excellent knowledge of engineering and design principles.
- Hands-on experience with design, engineering and/or fabrication of components preferred.
- Must be able to read and understand OEM vehicle wiring schematics and diagrams.
- Knowledge of heavy vehicle wiring and systems; Transit Buses and/or RAIL a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office; Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required. Writing must be clear, concise and unambiguous.
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects.
- Strong problem-solving skills and a creative approach for generating and implementing new ideas.
- Ability to travel up to 25%
- Ability to view multiple video display terminal images < 18” away from face for extended periods of time – up to four (4) hours at a time.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse and telephone.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time – up to four (4) hours at a time.
- Ability to lift, tug, pull up to fifteen (45) pounds.