People, Place, Prosperity
Working within our Strategic Plan, Cambridge Connected, and committing to our values of Integrity, Respect, Inclusiveness and Service, the successful candidate will work together to help the City of Cambridge achieve our vision: A place for people to prosper – alive with opportunity.
There is a temporary opening for the above position within the Recreation and Culture Division of the Community Development Department available immediately until approximately March 29, 2020. Reporting to the Community Support Services Coordinator, this position is responsible for the following duties:
What you will be doing
- Assists the Programmer to plan and facilitate program activities, games; assists and encourages clients to participate.
- Assesses client interest, values, needs, past and present hobbies/interests/activities and collaborates as a team and one-on-one to provide programming and activities to positively affect behavior and promote healthy aging.
- Sets-up and prepares rooms and dining rooms, including arranging tables and chairs, dish set-up and cleans up supplies, tables and rooms. Liaises with cook or kitchen staff to order meals according to specific needs of participants. Assists the Cook and/or volunteers with the preparation, and serving of morning and afternoon snacks and the serving of the noon hour meal. Supervises clients over meal and snack times. Cleans up dining and kitchen areas in preparation for and following snacks, including washing & putting away dishes. Ensures safe handling, storage, reheating/cooling of food for snacks or meals.
- Greets clients upon arrival, distributes transit tickets as required, and investigates late rides or pick-ups, assists with coats upon arrival and departure, and interacts with the clients while waiting for transportation.
- Maintains appropriate records/documentation, attendance and client health and progress notes, care plans and regularly communicates any client concerns.
- Assists programmer with administrative and clerical duties when required including transportation, contacting participants and verifying attendance.
- Assists participants with ambulation and personal care including toileting, dressing, feeding, and cutting food, medication reminders, transfers between surfaces or from wheelchairs or chairs, as needed while ensuring comfort and safety of participants and self which may require lifting, bending, stooping and kneeling.
- Keeps program supplies neat and orderly, in good repair and maintains the inventory of supplies and equipment, and transports supplies between site locations as needed.
- Completes program planning including program research, development, and preparation.
Possession of a College level diploma (two years) in Recreation and Leisure, Gerontology, or a related field, or equivalent.
Bilingual (English and French) is considered an important asset.
Experience and Knowledge
- One year of previous working experience with the elderly or special needs population, facilitating recreation programs in one-on-one and group settings.
- Possession of Standard First Aid, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Level C, and Automated External Defibrillator certification
- Current and valid Police Vulnerable Sector Check
- Valid driver’s license and use of a personal vehicle is a requirement to travel to various program sites and to purchase program supplies as needed.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook, and experience with Client Information Management System (CIMS).
- Proficiency in both English and French is considered an asset.
We will ask you for these items if you are hired
Current and valid Police Vulnerable Sector Check to be provided prior to commencement in this position.
Proof of your current and valid certificate(s) and/or educational qualifications.
Standard First Aid, CPR C & AED certification
Valid G driver's license.
Supervisor Health & Safety Awareness Training Certificate from the Ministry of Labour
The hourly wage is within the inside workers union salary scale Job Grade 6 $31.76 to $33.76 per hour. (2019 Rate).
Hours of work
The current hours of work for this position are six-hour shifts per day, Monday to Friday as scheduled by the supervisor.
Advertisement expiration date
This posting closes on May 6, 2019.
Accommodation needs and protection of privacy
The City of Cambridge is committed to inclusion and diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Please make your needs known in advance by contacting the Human Resources Division.
Personal information collected in relation to the recruitment process is collected under the authority outlined in the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and used solely to determine eligibility for employment with the City of Cambridge only.