People, Place, Prosperity
Working within our Strategic Plan, Cambridge Connected, and committing to our values of Integrity, Respect, Inclusiveness and Service, the successful candidate will work together to help the City of Cambridge achieve our vision: A place for people to prosper – alive with opportunity.
Reporting to the Manager of Business Systems GIS Development Services, within the Technology Services Division of the Corporate Services Department, this position is responsible for the following duties:
What you will be doing
- Assess and cultivate long-term strategic goals for BI development in conjunction with end users, managers, clients, and other stakeholders.
- Conduct research and make recommendations on BI products, services, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts. Hands on expertise in BI client tools with knowledge of the portfolio of SAP BI solutions (Dashboards, Web Intelligence, Crystal Reports, Lumira, Visual Studio, Analysis for OLAP Explorer, Visual Intelligence, Query Design and HANA), Power BI and MS SQL Reporting Services
- Evaluate and select database/data warehouse components, including hardware, relational database management systems, Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) software, metadata management tools, and database design solutions.
- Direct, organize, and lead projects in the implementation and use of new BI software tools and systems.
- Lead the integration efforts for merging BI platforms with enterprise systems and applications.
- Design, code, test, and document all new or modified BI systems, applications, and programs.
- Develop the semantic layer, metadata, reports, and report definitions.
- Develop graphs and portal interfaces.
- Assist in the design of databases and data warehouses to ensure interoperability with BI solutions.
- Analyze user requirements based on findings, design functional specifications for BI front-end applications.
- Troubleshoot BI tools, systems, and software; performance-tune these applications as necessary.
- Act as evangelist for BI benefits across the organization; promote BI usage to relevant departments.
- Consults with business staff in all departments to develop an understanding of the varied and complex business needs. Understands the role of the system in the big picture and provides ideas and recommendations for data analysis, enterprise reporting, KPIs, metrics and dashboards.
- Builds effective relationships with business units to develop a “joint” vision. Acts as a liaison with IT and/or outside vendors and organizations as appropriate in support of the BI reporting and data analytics. Works together with consultants and other Technology Services staff to ensure the clients’ business needs have been met.
- Documents and develops system requirements, design and prototype solutions and complete full lifecycle testing though the development of Business Process Blueprinting, workshops and the actual design of workflow.
- Develops Business Intelligence solutions using SAP BusinessObjects, SAP BW4HANA and SAP HANA platforms. Creates and maintains reports and dashboards for various divisions based on business requirements.
- Participates in the preparation and presentation of system documentation and training materials that provide appropriate educational instruction in the use and capabilities of the BI environment. Co-ordinates and/or provides system training where appropriate.
- Acts as liaison between business unit and Technology Services, including interfacing with Vendor support and development staff. Maintains knowledge of current trends and developments and applies pertinent new knowledge to performance of other responsibilities. Participates in internal and external educational programs as available for continuing professional education. Participates in regular meetings of available and applicable professional organizations. Reads and evaluates professional literature on continual basis; translate complex or technical information into a format that can be understood by others and distributes as needed.
- Recommend solutions to implement new processes or to improve and expand functionality of existing system, independent or in conjunction with other City owned software.
Undergraduate Degree – four (4) years’ or equivalent in Computer Science, Business or similar
Experience and Knowledge
Minimum (5+) years’ experience , including knowledge of:
- Experience and knowledgeable in, Project Management; Java, Python; Crystal Reports, Business Objects, Data Modeling
- Experience in data warehouse analysis and design, Data modeling, Crystal Reports, Visual Basic, SQL
- Providing training and/or guidance to all levels of users on new processes, reports and dashboards
- Municipal systems experience preferred
We will ask you for these items if you are hired
Worker Health and Safety Awareness Training Certificate from the Ministry of Labour
Proof of your current and valid certificate(s) and/or educational qualifications.
Valid G driver's license.
The annual salary range for this non-union position is $72,633 to $88,577 (Band Level 4). We offer a comprehensive benefit package and are an Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) employer.
Hours of work
Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (35 hours per week).
Advertisement expiration date
This posting closes Janaury 30, 2019.
Accommodation needs and protection of privacy
The City of Cambridge welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Please make your needs known in advance by contacting the Human Resources Division.
Personal information collected in relation to the recruitment process is collected under the authority outlined in the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and used solely to determine eligibility for employment with the City of Cambridge only.