Ballard’s Catalyst Coated Membrane (CCM) Team within the MEA & Stack Materials Group has an opening for a Process Engineer. This position will be located at our Burnaby facility.
The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting CCM production and process development, as part of Ballard’s MEA manufacturing processes.
Support CCM Process Engineering Team to optimize catalyst coating process for safety, quality, yield, material utilization, batch-to-batch variability, and robustness.
Support Production Coating team to ensure daily production schedules are met (may require shift work).
- Monitor, control and troubleshoot process utilizing statistical, problem solving, and continuous improvement tools.
- Generate, maintain, and update engineering documentations, including specifications, process flow diagrams, control plans, work instructions, etc.
- Support advancement of processing technologies, including qualifying next generation equipment.
Analyze and communicate technical information, including process capability, work flow deviation, yield and cycle time analysis etc. to cross functional management team on a regular basis
Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering or equivalent
- Professional Engineering designation (or eligibility)
- Minimum 5+ years of manufacturing or process development. Experience with roll to roll manufacturing processes is an asset
- Strong observation and analytical skills to troubleshoot process and quality-related issues
- Demonstrated experience with engineering practices such as Lean Six Sigma, FMEA, Design of Experiment, SPC, noise factor analysis, Kaizen, 5S, and others.
Knowledge of technical documentation related to manufacturing, including use of control plan, FMEA, work flow diagram, SOP, process and product specifications, setup checklist, equipment requirement, facility drawing etc.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, supported by advance data analysis skill (using Excel or other statistical software, such as Minitab)
- Experience working in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment.
- Experience with inline quality assurance technologies is an asset.
The candidate should have a successful track record in leading multiple projects and developing new methods and processes
Mechanical design experience with AutoCad and/or ProE is considered an asset
Machine shop skills and ability to work hands on with machinery is considered an asset