Materials Scientist / Engineer, Burnaby, BC Canada
Ballard Power Systems is actively seeking a Materials Scientist / Engineer to join the Materials Engineering team in the Product Engineering department on a permanent basis. The successful applicant will work as part of a team evaluating new fuel cell materials sourced from various global suppliers and will interface cross-functionally to integrate qualified materials into next generation fuel cell products.
- Support the development of technical requirements documents that enable materials to be sourced from global suppliers, and ensure these materials can be qualified for next generation fuel cell products.
- Use standardized tests to characterize materials with a wide range of equipment, including Universal Testing machines, DMA, DCS, and FTIR.
- Develop material characterization data sets that can be used by Product Engineers as model inputs for performance models, FEA and predictive life calculations.
- Perform data analysis and link observations to underlying material science.
- Follow sound engineering practices regarding material specification documentation, document control, change management and failure investigations. Support the improvement of products through the application of sound engineering practices, such as 8D problem solving and FMEA.
- Communicate with a small team of engineers, scientists, and technicians to achieve team deliverables safely, effectively, and with a high level of quality.
- Interface effectively with Research, Supply Chain, Quality and Manufacturing to resolve technical issues to support the development of fuel cell products.
- Relevant degree in science or engineering (e.g. Materials Science, Materials Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, Chemical or Mechanical Engineering).
- 1-3 years of relevant experience.
- Working knowledge of thermoplastics, thermosets, elastomers, composites, strength of materials, and materials science.
- Industry experience on materials composition as well as material supply chain from raw material manufacturers, compounders and processing companies is an asset.
- Hands-on experience of material sample preparation and materials processing.
- Strong oral and written communications skills required.
- Working knowledge of fuel cells stacks or systems is desirable.
Ballard values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates.