Ballard’s Modeling Team is actively seeking a full time FEA Structural Analysis Engineer to develop and use simulation tools to design innovative fuel cells stacks and virtual evaluations of novel fuel cell stack, systems and modules .
Candidate will be responsible for providing structural analysis and evaluation that supports the structural integrity of Ballard’s fuel cell products. The engineer will use first principle methods and FEA structural analysis codes to conduct analysis along with utilizing appropriate verification techniques in support of fuel cell designs. The Structural Analysis Engineer will also be involved with corrective action and failure investigation for product safety and customer compliance support.
- Provide structural analysis and evaluation that supports structural integrity of Ballard’s fuel cell products at both unit-cell and stack levels including shock and vibrations of fuel cell stacks and modules
- Use first principle methods such as design calculations using engineering methods along with FEA structural analysis codes (Ansys and/or MSC Marc) to conduct analysis along with utilizing appropriate verification techniques in support of fuel cell designs including linear and nonlinear static, modal, random vibrations and mechanical shock calculations
- Meshing components, coupled analysis and parameterisation/ automation along with shape/weight optimization studies on unit cell and stack levelsValidation and documentation of model and simulation results in collaboration with test engineers
- Management of model versions, model improvement, and maintenance to achieve high quality simulation and modeling results
- Provide corrective actions and failure investigations for product safety and customer compliance support
- Applied Science or Engineering degree with 4+ years related experience in FEA software packages (Ansys) paired with experience in CAD (PTC-Creo /Pro Engineering)
- Registration as a professional engineer (P.Eng.) in BC, or eligibility for registration is required
- Experience performing finite element structural analysis using materials with non-linear stress/strain relationships, hyperelastic materials, isotropic/orthotropic/anisotropic materials and springs, as well as experience optimizing structural designs (topology and shape optimization)
- Must have good understanding of engineering concepts and theoretical knowledge of finite element analysis methods
- Experience in Linux/Windows network computer environment
- Strong communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with scientists/engineers of various disciplines
- Must be able to work both independently and on a team
- Comfortable with drawings and design standards
Application Instruction: Apply on employer website with cover letter and resume.
Ballard values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates.