Ballard’s Modeling Team is actively seeking a full time Performance Analysis Engineer to work in Product Development. This position will work on developing models to simulate and validate critical fuel cell design parameters with the main focus on MEA function. The analysis methods (along with supporting tools) are used for design development, design space studies, proving design sensitivity studies, performance and degradation models and failure investigation.
Develop, validate and maintain fundamental models for predicting MEA performance and degradation and link critical MEA design parameters to performance and degradation.
- Collaborate with internal and external research groups in the advancement of fundamental MEA performance and degradation models.
- Play a significant role in defining the long term strategy for fundamental MEA model development.
- Provide support using or developing other models on fuel cell performance or on fluid flow, heat and mass transfer and electrical processes.
- Provide critical input for design selection process during the development phase (MEA/Unit Cell/Stack) using modeling results and engineering analysis.
Provide unit cell engineers with ability to leverage modeling tools to advance their designs with considerations for alternative design solutions.
Ability to work to time schedule and commitments for deliverables. Must be willing to determine scope of work and plan effectively toward those commitments.
degree in applied science or engineering with at least 3 years of related experience.
Working knowledge of electrochemistry, flow mechanics, heat and mass transfer and electrical processes and their governing equations. Prior experience with fundamental MEA modeling is a strong asset.
- Very good capability and experience with analytical and numerical mathematical methods for solving differential equations (ordinary and partial).
- Knowledge/experience with computer software such as Matlab and Comsol.
- Experience with testing methods, measurement tools and model validation studies is preferred.
Very good capability using analysis tools for design activities.
Strong communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with scientists/engineers of various disciplines. Capability to setup and maintain fundamental model development networks is desired.
Ballard values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates.