Job Title: Plant Manager
Division: Bailey Metal Products Limited - Calgary
Reports to: General Manager
Job Purpose Summary
The Plant Manager is responsible for planning production schedules, and overseeing manufacturing activities in pursuance of business goals and as determined by the annual plan of operations. The incumbent will develop policies and procedures designed to increase productivity, assure quality, and mitigate production problems. To this end, the Plant Manager will improve processes with the objective of reducing overall costs and enhancing customer satisfaction.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The responsibilities and accountabilities of the position include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide leadership for developing and directing plant initiatives for all company products.
- Manage long-term strategic plans and tactical implementation of production systems across the enterprise.
- Develop systems to evaluate, score, and implement manufacturing business system process improvements.
- Create and implement repeatable scoring metrics for all manufacturing and production operations.
- Select the appropriate capital equipment as needed, create business case, and then oversee purchase, installation, and start-up.
- Support new product development.
Operations and Production
- Determine optimum manufacturing processes and raw material usage.
- Identify areas for waste reduction and monitor progress.
- Implement optimal flow layouts to improve productivity.
- Improve production standards through time studies and other standard data development methods.
- Create and maintain production and warehouse documentation.
- Empower staff to adopt and incorporate quality methods into their work.
- Preparation and adherence to annual and as required budgets and operating plans in accordance with overall company budgets and operating plan preparation cycles.
- Provide cost analysis as required by senior management
Human Resources & Health and Safety
- Manage production, warehouse, maintenance employees, and other staff; recommend optimal staffing levels and schedules.
- Carry out managerial responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and
- directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Develop, coach, mentor and motivate subordinates.
- Identify relevant training needs and opportunities.
- Assist in training line workers in problem-solving techniques and on-the-spot production troubleshooting.
- Support and adhere to all company health and safety policies, programs and procedures by communicating and promoting health and safety awareness to all employees.
- Ensure all Occupational Health and Safety legislative requirements are being met.
- Conduct safety talk on the shop floor and in crew meetings.
- Participate in accident investigation program, operator start-up inspections and hazard identification programs.
- Monitor accident frequency, history and analysis of injury data to target areas for improvement.
- Perform regular workplace inspections, both scheduled and unscheduled.
- Develop and implement communication programs that foster team spirit and an atmosphere of participative management.
- Ensure ongoing compliance with local, national, and international standards and legislation.
- Maintain a high standard of professional knowledge, ethics and practices when dealing with customers, suppliers, peers, subordinates, supervisors and other key stakeholders of the company.
- Conduct oneself in a professional manner that reflects integrity and respect towards customers, suppliers, peers, subordinates, supervisors and other key stakeholders of the company.
- Other responsibilities and accountabilities as assigned by the Divisional Manager.
- 10+ years' experience in progressively responsible and complex roles, in manufacturing management, functioning at a senior level, in a high volume, in plant environment.
- Multi-disciplined experience in Manufacturing, Quality, Engineering, and Maintenance is a must.
- In-depth knowledge of all aspects of manufacturing, including performance metrics and benchmarks.
- Track record of establishing and managing manufacturing, utilizing teams to drive people, processes, and systems to successfully achieve cost savings and key KPIs.
- Demonstrated skills in delivering year to year financial and performance results.
- Strong planning, budgeting and organizational skills.
- Possess the ability to handle multiple priorities and a wide variety of tasks to meet deadlines, all with a sense of urgency.
- Strong understanding and ability to negotiate labour relations, general business and procurement contracts.
- Superior communication skills to develop effective working relationships with peers, plant operations, customer service, sales and executives to maximize results across the organization.
- Must be computer literate and comfortable with SAP systems.
- Use of Microsoft Office products, especially MS Excel, is required.
- Some travel may be required.
- Ability to attend and conduct presentations.
- Overtime as required
Job Type: Full-time
- manufacturing: 10 years (Preferred)