Do you want to work at a company that embraces quality, passion, innovation, openness and fun? Do you like to travel?
If so, we have a role for you.
AFAR's engineering team is looking for a UI Software Engineer to rebuild the UI of our digital platform (afar.com) using a component-based approach. You will be part of a full-stack engineering team to rebuild our technology platform from the ground up using the latest technologies. We are a team of folks who are passionate about engineering quality, robust design and implementation, as well as user experience. You will be interacting with product management and designers to understand and refine detailed requirements, as well as providing technical input leveraging your expertise on UI/UX.
We give our engineers an environment in which they can contribute from day one while also providing opportunities for learning and growth. You'll learn how our entire stack works - from data ingestion, storage, analysis and search, and building exciting user experiences which will directly impact our users.
AFAR is moving quickly, has big plans for the future, and is searching for someone as determined as we are who will thrive in our fast-paced and exciting environment. If you crave constant direction and predictability, this is probably not the company for you. At AFAR our team members step up, step in, take ownership and wear as many hats as needed to achieve our goals and get the job done.
- 4+ years of experience building front end applications, UI components or UI frameworks.
- Expert level skills at responsive design UI using Bootstrap, Material Design, or equivalent CSS frameworks
- Mastery of cross-browser, cross-platform markup and layout (HTML, CSS)
- Experience with SASS/LESS CSS pre-compiler
- Extensive knowledge of react/redux or equivalent technologies.
- Ensure product quality by creating automated tests for the software that you help create.
- Proven ability to lead features by themselves or with a team.
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly and mentor junior team members.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written and great attention to details.
- You are experienced with CI/CD, and even better you have built CI/CD tools and pipelines.
- Full web stack development experience is a plus, but not essential
- BS/MS in Computer Science preferred.
- Strong customer focus and passion for building intuitive products that will delight our traveler user base. Our users are passionate about AFAR and we want the same from our engineers.
- A constant stream of new things to learn. We're always expanding into new areas, bringing in open source projects and contributing back, and exploring new technologies.
- A set of incredibly talented and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering to product management and customer support.
- Breadth and depth. You want to work on an area that spans backend and frontend? We have that. You want to go deep into optimizing how we recommend content based on interest relevancy? We have that too, and more.
- Growth and mentorship. We believe in growing engineers through ownership and leadership opportunities. We also believe mentors help both sides of the equation.
- Occasional travel to our satellite office in New York City. We also have annual company offsite events where we get together to celebrate for our successes and recharge!
- A stable, collaborative and supportive work environment. We work in an open environment, have a shared kitchen and huddle for a quick standup every morning.
- We don't expect people to work 12-hour days. We want you to have a successful time outside of work too. Want to work from home sometimes? No problem. We trust our colleagues to be responsible with their time and commitment and believe that balance helps cultivate a great environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $130,000.00 /year
- web development: 1 year (Preferred)
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Commuting/travel assistance
- Flexible schedules
- Workplace perks such as food/coffee and flexible work schedules