Reporting functionally to the Vice President, Finance, and operationally to the Executive Leader and Senior Vice President, Civil West, the Finance Director coordinates all accounting, reporting and budgeting/forecasting activities for Civil West Group and will be a critical member of the Civil West management team.
Provide financial leadership, business partnering and finance decision support for the Civil West organization
Lead the development of the group’s annual budget and quarterly forecast updates.
Maintain reporting systems which provide actual and projected financial results, and variance reporting
Interpret financial results, budgets and business plans to Civil West management
Lead the financial/business analysis of special projects
Accountable for the full execution and post-monitoring of special projects
Continually drive process improvements through standardization of best practices and improved internal control procedures.
Liaise with the Corporate Finance, Tax and Treasury groups, as required (e.g. monthly and quarterly reporting requirements, accounting issues, providing explanations on variances to business plan/forecasts, HST/GST issues, asset financing, etc.)
Work closely with Vice President, Finance, and the Executive Leader and SVP Civil West on financial planning and reporting activities for the Civil West organization.
- Assist other operational and financial teams with requests and cross functional execution of projects
- Monitor, track and control spending to make sure expenses are in line with planned levels and recommend corrective actions where necessary
Respond to external and internal audit queries and prepare information requested by auditors in connection with their interim and year end testing of IT controls. Oversee required actions to address deficiencies identified by auditors.
- Liaise with Shared Services to ensure efficiencies and accuracy in reporting and managing (e.g. accounts payable).
- Responsible for the allocation of costs to Civil West’s various SBU’s and for fielding any questions from SBUs about allocations
- Manage the purchasing function for Civil West while ensuring internal controls and cost management for the Civil West Organization
Participate in other projects as required
- Other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge & Skills
- Accounting designation – CA, CGA, CMA
- Minimum 10+ years of progressive finance experience
- Ability to work independently and under tight deadlines
- Construction experience (Project/Joint Venture accounting) an asset
- Strong experience in a technology and service environment (SAP)
- The desire to dig deep into details and correct as needed
- An extremely high degree of accuracy and very detailed orientated
- Strategic thinker and tactical, practical doer
- Demonstrated analytical skills and extremely PC proficient
- Good interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and communication skills