Located at the foot of San Francisco's Telegraph Hill near Levi's Plaza, 1fb.net inc, a wholly owned subsidiary of 1 st Financial Bank USA, is an internet development company that focuses on developing internet channels, product strategies and robust technologies for delivering the Bank's products and services to its customers. CollegeData®, provided by 1st Financial Bank USA for over 20 years, is a free online college advisory service that helps students and families make the right decisions about college.
Jr. User Interface / Visual Designer
The Jr. User Interface / Visual Designer will have primary responsibility for the user interface and look/feel of CollegeData, 1st Financial Bank USA’s affiliate site. In addition to developing and documenting front-end requirements for the site, the Jr. User Interface / Visual Designer will also be responsible for enhancing existing user interfaces and will have a key role in originating the "next-generation" web experience for CollegeData. The individual hired will also incorporate modern UI and visual design approaches and solutions, ensuring that his/her designs support CollegeData’s business goals and overall marketing strategy.
The successful candidate will be a talented front-end specialist who is passionate about improving user experience and able to look beyond the front end to see a product as a whole (and understand how our target audience sees it), and who thrives in a highly collaborative environment. He/she will demonstrate a strong sense of visual design paired with the ability to assemble different features into a unified web and user experience, as well as the ability to deliver cutting edge solutions for complicated interfaces that users will find compelling and easy-to-use.
The Jr. User Interface / Visual Designer is not a front end developer. Although a thorough understanding of front end implementation strategies is required, the position involves little or no development work other than to illustrate solutions, and develop them so that they meet CollegeData’s business goals.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Report to and work with VP of Business Development on UI and design strategy that supports CollegeData’s branding, marketing, and overall goals.
- Work with and support the Sr. UI/Visual Designer to develop the user interface and look and feel for new features, including functionality of elements, layout, page relationships and logic, navigation, visual design and graphics.
- Assist product and content managers in developing requirements for new features and applications.
- Enhance the visual appeal and usability of legacy features.
- Create and present multiple UI, layout, and design options for new and existing features, incorporating feedback from product managers.
- Research and present innovative solutions to complex user interface problems.
- Document the visual design and functionality of the user interface. Iteratively develop requirements documentation, including page wire frames, storyboards, and front end functional specifications. Produce final documentation for use by the business, developers and testers.
- Produce designs to be used for marketing purposes across social media and advertising.
- Serve as a product and design representative at conferences and with various audiences.
Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, HCI, or related field.
- Minimum two years of professional experience in user interface and visual design for the web, in-house or agency.
- Experience collaborating with a team to develop the front end functionality of web-based software products.
- Experience translating product requirements into detailed and accurate storyboards, functional specifications, and other documentation to be used by developers and testers.
- Proficient with Sketch, InVision, Balsamiq, Zeplin, and Adobe CC.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Experience working on a product targeted to high school and college students.
- Familiarity with user interfaces prevalent among websites used by high school and college students, including social networking sites and mobile apps.
Language/Reasoning/Mathematical or other specific skills:
- Excellent visual design skills, including page layout and graphic design.
- Proven ability to deliver outstanding design solutions for complex web features and applications.
- Comprehensive understanding of "best practice" approaches and solutions in user interface design.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly iterate through multiple concepts, designs and layouts, effectively incorporating feedback.
- Intuitive sense of how his/her UI and design vision will complement CollegeData’s marketing goals.
- Detail oriented and able to think abstractly and see the big picture of CollegeData and 1st Financial Bank USA.
- Enthusiastic team player, effective collaborator with strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Creative, flexible, resourceful.
- Strong organizational and analytic skills.
- Self-starter, able to work independently, multi-task, and meet deadlines.
- Experience with EdTech and/or designing for high amounts of information.
- Proficiency with social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter and how his/her designs will render on those platforms and support CollegeData’s marketing goals.
Please submit a link to your portfolio or a PDF of your work when applying.
We provide a highly competitive and comprehensive compensation and benefits program including affordable medical/dental/vision insurance, generous paid leave program, 401(k), health savings account, tuition reimbursement, financial childcare assistance and much more!
1fb.net inc is an EO employer - M / F / Vets / Disabled.