1QBit is dedicated to solving the world's most intractable challenges by recasting problems to harness the power of quantum computing. We identify demanding industry problems and apply breakthroughs in computation to machine intelligence and optimization science to build software that allows applications to continually benefit from advances in both quantum and classical hardware.
We believe that quantum technologies will form the next pillar of computational progress. We research, benchmark, and build software development kits, online platforms, and applications that make the power of quantum computers accessible to researchers, developers, and industry-leading organizations so they can solve their most difficult problems in fields such as optimization, simulation, and machine learning.
As an interdisciplinary team of world-class mathematicians, physicists, engineers, operations research scientists, software developers, quantum computing experts, and business leaders, we share a curiosity and drive to uncover new ways of solving currently intractable problems.
Our work is guided by a shared set of values focused on five fundamental principles:
- Audacity - A drive to pioneer and apply new methods. To dream without limit and then do the hard work of bringing your ideas into reality.
- Open Thinking - A belief in the sharing of ideas. To approach each exploration with a receptive mindset and collaborate openly to produce the best possible results.
- Interdisciplinary Collaboration - A respect for the diversity of people, backgrounds, and skills. A wide range of perspectives reveals a more complete landscape and yields deeper insights.
- Ownership - A feeling of pride in the work of the team and a deep sense of purpose and accomplishment from your contribution.
- Beginner's Mindset - A desire to improve as an expert while retaining the curiosity and openness that inspired you to begin.
As a member of the Finance Product Team, your role is to assist the Finance Products Lead in creating white papers and application notes that enhance the value of the CME Market Sentiment Meter (MSM).
The Market Sentiment Meter is a value-added market data product sold by subscription through CME Market Data Sales. 1QBit computes market metrics for selected products at the end of each trading day, using settlement files received from CME DataMine. Its underlying model is driven by options and futures prices, volumes, and intraday activity, using products traded on exchanges operated by the CME Group. The Market Sentiment Meter is valuable to 1QBit's end customers because it can be used as a market signal for both high-frequency trading and longer-term portfolio management. The role of the Finance Product Intern is to perform experiments and write up results in such a way that MSM customers can apply them to advantage. There is scope for independent work and collaboration with 1QBit researchers, depending on the Finance Product Team's overall market development plans.
What You'll Do
- Implement simple but realistic trading algorithms that can be applied in futures and options trading
- Investigate how the performance of these algorithms might be improved using the Market Sentiment Meter
- Communicate your findings by authoring technical documents and presentations
- Assist the marketing team in creating related material for general and specialized audiences
What You'll Bring
All or most of the following:
- A master's degree or PhD candidacy in quantitative finance, economics, applied mathematics, physics, computer science or a related field
- Eligibility for the Mitacs internship program (i.e., enrolled as a full-time university/college student or postdoctorate fellow. For more information, please follow this link: https://www.mitacs.ca/en/programs/accelerate ( https://www.mitacs.ca/en/programs/accelerate ))
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research in an interdisciplinary environment, as well as independently
- Practical applied knowledge of algorithm design and performance evaluation
- Previous experience with data analysis and visualization software, including but not limited to Excel
- Previous experience with at least one programming language, such as Python, Mathematica, Matlab, Java, or C/C++
- A genuine interest in electronic trading and market data analysis
- The ability to write for publication is a significant plus
- Self-motivation and the ability to take initiative and follow through reliably
- A drive to proactively seek out opportunities to help move projects forward and contribute to their improvement
- An openness to soliciting feedback to improve your performance and, in turn, continually providing input to team members to elevate team performance and contribute to 1QBit's culture
- An eagerness to learn about new trends, tools, and technologies, and to continually consider how these will influence our projects, including the implications and opportunities that they will bring
- A dedication to maintaining team unity success through open communication
- A commitment to challenge the status quo, take smart risks, and be open to possible failure
- Strong communication and collaboration skills with both technical and non-technical team members
- A philosophy of continuous improvement and a passion for knowledge sharing
- Strong organizational skills, and the ability to manage tasks and meet deadlines
Who You Are
You share our belief that principles, not policies, enable individuals and teams to apply their unique lens in making decisions. Like all 1QBit team members, you thrive in our flat hierarchy of empowered individuals. You embrace the rigorous examination of the thoughts and work of diverse minds from multiple disciplines because you know it uncovers deeper insights and produces robust results. You believe there is no failure in exploration because new breakthroughs often require rigorous examination of multiple paths before a conclusion is reached. You have a desire to apply yourself to purposeful work that is inspiring, meaningful, and fun, to create value for the world by advancing the ability to solve complex problems. You have a relentless curiosity for exploring new methodologies and you have an intrinsic drive to architect the foundation of the quantum ecosystem because you love the challenges and understand the rewards that the next paradigm of computation will bring.