This role is a 4 month fixed term position from May until end of August, 2019.
1QBit is dedicated to solving the world's most intractable challenges by recasting problems to harness the power of quantum computing. We identify demanding industry problems and apply breakthroughs in computation to machine intelligence and optimization science to build software that allows applications to continually benefit from advances in both quantum and classical hardware.
We believe that quantum technologies will form the next pillar of computational progress. We research, benchmark, and build software development kits, online platforms, and applications that make the power of quantum computers accessible to researchers, developers, and industry-leading organizations so they can solve their most difficult problems in fields such as optimization, simulation, and machine learning.
As an interdisciplinary team of world-class mathematicians, physicists, engineers, operations research scientists, software developers, quantum computing experts, and business leaders, we share a curiosity and drive to uncover new ways of solving currently intractable problems.
Our work is guided by a shared set of values focused on five fundamental principles:
- Audacity - A drive to pioneer and apply new methods. To dream without limit and then do the hard work of bringing your ideas into reality.
- Open Thinking - A belief in the sharing of ideas. To approach each exploration with a receptive mindset and collaborate openly to produce the best possible results.
- Interdisciplinary Collaboration - A respect for the diversity of people, backgrounds, and skills. A wide range of perspectives reveals a more complete landscape and yields deeper insights.
- Ownership - A feeling of pride in the work of the team and a deep sense of purpose and accomplishment from your contribution.
- Beginner's Mindset - A desire to improve as an expert while retaining the curiosity and openness that inspired you to begin.
This is a unique opportunity for you to upgrade your business or STEM education by spending four months working with experienced business professionals and world-class scientists. We are looking for a third- or fourth-year student to join 1QBit's 1Qloud Division as a Business Analyst. In this role you will support the Head of Product to ensure the team is at optimal efficiency through project assistance, financial management, client engagement assistance, optimizing business workflow, and conducting business intelligence research. In this role you will actively engage with business stakeholders and subject matter experts to understand problem spaces and requirements.
"Why 1QBit?", you might ask... Well, as the first company dedicated to the development of quantum computing software, we are defining and transforming how the industry evolves. We provide our people with a unique opportunity to do hands-on work on some of the world's most challenging computational problems. You will be part of an experienced entrepreneurial team that is responsible for bringing industry-leading research to life and help guide the development of this nascent industry. If being a pioneer is not enough, you will also have the opportunity to work on taking some of the world's most advanced computing software to market.
What You'll Do
You will support the 1Qloud Division in three key core areas:
- Ensuring the team has appropriate knowledge and preparation for client interactions.
- Being proactive in ensuring the team is as efficient and prepared as possible in facing business challenges.
- Being available to take on any task the team should need.
- Preparing, synthesizing, and analyzing business needs/documents.
- Working with other business analysts to roll out process improvements.
- Eliciting stakeholder requirements and improving business workflow.
- Assisting with managing the division's budgets and financials.
- Assisting with the development and execution of the division's operational plans.
- Understanding business markets through market research in support of product development.
- Working with project leads to help define goals.
- Understanding and performing analyses of project requirements.
- Planning tasks and addressing key knowledge-holders/stakeholders.
- Facilitating work and ensuring project timelines are met.
- Communicating with people from a wide range of backgrounds.
- Using tools including Slack, Google Drive, Jira, Confluence, etc.
What You'll Bring
1QBit business analysts are well-rounded individuals that are highly motivated to contribute to our collective growth as an organization. The confluence of personality, skills, and intent that you will bring to our team includes the following:
Not a must, but nice to have:
- A professional disposition.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- The motivation to take initiative and follow through reliably.
- Strong team-focused mentality, leadership skills, and a sense of ownership.
- Excellent communication skills, as well as impeccable business judgement.
- An attention to detail, with effective organizational skills, and the capability to handle multiple projects and stakeholders.
- The ability to:
- Rapidly build trusting relationships.
- Assess situations rapidly and prioritize tasks.
- Operate in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Learn about new trends, tools, and technologies, and to continually consider how these will influence our work, including the implications and opportunities that they will bring.
- Juggle multiple tasks across streams and meet the necessary "definition of done" for each task.
- Easily shift between low-level technical conversations and high-level go-to-market strategy conversations.
- Interpret legal documents, keeping in mind local context, and work with legal counsel on specific contract language.
- Adapt communication styles to effectively work with culturally and professionally diverse stakeholder groups.
- Self-motivation and the ability to take initiative and follow through reliably.
- A commitment to challenge the status quo, take smart risks, and be open to possible failure.
- Proactive in seeking out opportunities to help move projects forward and contribute to their improvement
- An openness to soliciting feedback to improve your performance and, in turn, continually providing input to team members to elevate team performance and contribute to 1QBit's culture.
- A dedication to maintaining team unity and effectiveness through the sharing of information and expertise and striving for team success.
- A philosophy of continuous improvement and a passion for knowledge sharing.
- Previous co-op experience.
- Leadership experience in a student society or other volunteer organization.
- A strong track record of achievement.
- Experience with project management.
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
- A passion for cutting-edge technology.
Who You Are
You share our belief that principles, not policies, enable individuals and teams to apply their unique lens in making decisions. Like all 1QBit team members, you embrace the rigorous examination of the thoughts and work of diverse minds from a multitude of disciplines because you know it uncovers deeper insights and produces robust results. You believe there is no failure in exploration because new breakthroughs often require rigorous examination of multiple paths before a conclusion is reached. You have a desire to apply yourself to purposeful work that is inspiring, meaningful, and fun, to create value for the world by advancing the ability to solve complex problems. You have a relentless curiosity for exploring new fields and an intrinsic drive to be a winner.